S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wrecked my AP1 S2000...insight on what to do?!?!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked my AP1 S2000...insight on what to do?!?!

As i dont want this to turn into a "dibs on side markers" post or "how much for bumper" post....i would highly appreciate an honest anwser as to what my potential options are in this situation. As i dont know the full extent of the damages as of yet..(this happened yesterday) and claims adjuster hasnt placed eyes on it yet.

Facts:

2000 (AP1) S2000
102,000 miles
hydroplaned on freeway, backwards into concrete freeway divider at approximately 30-45 mph....rear corner hit first, then front corner followed through....
driver side of car is unharmed
passenger side of car is damaged....Advan RG2's on right side are trashed....Spoon Sports Coilovers on right side are trashed....rear coilover pierced thru rear rim :/
unsure of engine integrity at this moment, but I have no reason to believe it is trashed
airbags did not deploy (rear initial hit)

It is very upsetting for me that this has happened, as i have enjoyed ownership of this car, and have planned for this legendary car to always be in my garage arsenal...but things dont always happen as expected. So any comments regarding this post, again i would appreciate all comments be made as what i should do if anything at all, rather than what part youd like, IF i even get the car back to part or i get it repaired.....id love to anwser any questions that any may have to help me come to a conclusion as to what the best option is for me at this point. If you suggest a "part out", please suggest if that is what you think is best, not because you need my side markers, windshield, etc.. thank you S2KI community, as you are a solid group of guys, and i can say that leaving this community itself, will be just as sad as yesterday when i damaged a first year production model S2000.

here is the link to my facebook post with pictures

https://www.facebook.com/richard.mue...01292764015411
Old 10-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Ouch man that sucks. I would say it is totaled. Even though the airbags didn't deply there is likely frame damage. Even the body work and fixing the suspension alone would likely total it. Personally I would push for it to be totaled and then buy it back from insurance so you can part it out. My fear with damage like this is that the car will never be right again. Anyways glad you are ok and good luck.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Ouch man that sucks. I would say it is totaled. Even though the airbags didn't deply there is likely frame damage. Even the body work and fixing the suspension alone would likely total it. Personally I would push for it to be totaled and then buy it back from insurance so you can part it out. My fear with damage like this is that the car will never be right again. Anyways glad you are ok and good luck.

how does buy back work? would i be paying the Blue Book value? or what they deem the value is? Blue Book value has my car with current mileage at 14,000-16,000 does this value factor into my situation when i buy back?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Dude your car isnt totalled. New front bumper and fender. And rear bumper. You will need your rear quarter repaired by a body shop though. As well as new control arms and other suspension bits for the front. The side of your car looks as if it remained unscathed and the suspension bits are designed to break in case of an accident as so not to do frame damage. Before anything have the frame inspectedto be 100% but how it sits your looking at about $5k in damages. If you feel the car isnt worth itthen yeah fight for a total on it. But it looks judging from the pics repairable
Old 10-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I highly doubt you have any frame damage. That car is 100% fixable. All those parts are designed to break off to minimize damage to the frame. Buy it back and fix it and pocket the rest of the money.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I can't comment on the determination of the cost of repair, but I would like to know the particulars, as much as you can give, on the circumstances of the accident. It may help some of us avoid what you are going through now. Things like tire type and condition, curves, braking, pooled water, etc. It seems like 90% of the accidents I read about were in wet conditions.

Hope you can fix it, great looking car.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 AM

It appears as if the op's car was lowered a bit. Nothing wrong with that so take no offense. But with a lowered car i can see it being alot easier to hydroplane since you are now creating a vacuum of sorts with puddles. The fact that initial reaction is to begin to steer when the wheel gets weightless followed by sharp braking is what usually leads to these accidents. Easiest way to hopefully avoid the situation when hydroplaning is to keep the wheels pointed straight and to slowly ease off the gas. Its the sudden grip thats bites back and braking with no traction is always a bad idea. Op it seems didnt mean to cause the damage but instead did natural reaction. Another note to keep in mind is even though the s handles really good in the rain no car handles 100% its best to cut your speed down a few notches and drive like your on ice. Or just stay home to be completely safe hahaha. Otherwise the op's car is repairable but it will cost money. Albeit alot less than finding a new one though
Old 10-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

....and the rear tires were bald.

Am I right?

Buy back and a part-out? I'd guess that insurance will total it. That looks pretty bad $u$penSion wise, control arms, body damage, paint .......
Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not call that rear quarter panel "fixable" its pushed in what appears to be a solid couple inches throughout. The mounting points for the tail light are also visibly displaced. I would expect to have frame damage on that rear end and the suspension work probably won't be cheap either depending on which pieces gave way first. The only hope might be that the increasing values of our cars keep the damage below the totaling threshold. As to whether ya buy it back or not I would start adding up what you believe is salvagable/sellable and it would be a simple comparison if it was worth it or not.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry it happened to you. From my experience, it can be fixed. Based on your description, it will not drive like it used to.