S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

wrx to s2000

Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

^glad to see some snow in the background. That looks like more than we ever get here. I really do want one I just wish I could sell my car as is and get the value of what has been put in it out of it. I know I won't get that close I'm just not looking forward to if I have to finding another 5spd and all the necessary parts to install that so I can resell my sti tranny. That is so much more of a pain than it sounds like it is.
I'm just hoping if I go through with it I can get a decent amount for my wrx.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent just over a year in my STi before it was sold and I purchased the S2000. I was extremely happy with the STi (one of the best cars I have owned) and the S2000. I like them both for the different characteristics and strengths of their performance. The change was made because, at heart, I'm a RWD type of guy.

Mike
Old 05-16-2007, 04:53 PM

I had the S, ...traded it like a fool.

Well, not really, I had a financial hardship then too. So, I traded it for a WRX, they offer me good trade in plus special financing. I'm now looking to get back to the S once again. Why? Before I tell you, I'd like to add that I have no meaning to talk down on WRX owners, cause' all in all, I am one. These are my own opinions with my own car, and I also have had a few S, so I think I can give you a good, honest experience.

The car is good, in terms of low-end to mid range power. Mine is an '06 wagon, it is only 80 lb. over the sedan, no biggy. It is super fun and much confidence in winter and heavy rain( the S feels just as good when using snow tires, BTW). You have no idea how many cars you could spank in it. The look on their face that you can't explain, but can only ask "You just got spank by a wagon?". Next, let's waist no time and get to my real life experience, and thoughts with the car.

The transmition "S*CKS MAJOR @$$!!!" is the first thhing I'd like to get it out of my chest. I heard 6sp is a different animal, but if you can't swing the STI, then you gonna have to suck it up with this unit( and the whole non-STI car in general). Everytime I shift, especially from 2-3, I feel like I almost have to crunch my jaw in order to do this, ..and I'm not kidding. Wanna put it in reverse after stopping?, release the clutch and press it again.

People try to upgrade the breaks on the S, try the one on WRX and see how instopable and spongy it is. Mine is totally wrap and shaking, and I'm not even pass 7k miles yet. I never drive it hard, at least not as hard as my S, I couldn't even if I wanted to. Stayability in high speed is bad, but that's maybe the tires the car came with( same as 04 civic... can you believe?).

Steering is good, but you can't trow it around the corner like you could the S. The pig is so fat around the corner, nose dive is also very anoying when being push.

Noise in the S? sure they are, but not like you have to raise your voice over the conversation when the windows are closed like in the WRX. The sound of wind seep through that cheap, frameless, door window is horible. Granted, it has a much better sound system, not a high power one, but well tune to the accustic of the car. That, I like.

Turbo lack is there, until you pass 2.5k RPM, then it's start to creeping up and well alive after 3-3.5k. You are done not long after 90 MPH or so. Low end power is what the car shines over the S( not by much), still feel lacking and a bit of delay in 1 and 2 gear because of drive-by-wire system, but 2.5L helps.

I can make it a 300HP wagon for less than 2 grands, which is SUPER CHEAP when comparing to all the MODs on the S, and you can't even get that kind of jump without going FI. But, at the end of the day, I just don't feel satisfied... The whole experience is all about justifying, making do, and ignoring. It is a very sloppy made car . Nothing reminds me of "quality" and "engineering". Again, the STI might be day and night comparing to WRX. But if you don't want to go, can't go, STI, don't do it.

I hate the car so much, I can't see myself paying for this thing for the rest of the loan. I want my S back.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:01 PM

^ I agree with many things said above. A little bit of work initial goes a long way. just adding a turboback and some engine management will go a long way on any wrx as far as the power goes and its not that expensive to do. I completely agree the 5spd sucks. like really bad. I hated everything about it. I have the 6spd in mine and I love everything about it. Best investment into my wrx if you ask me. It was even a lot of fun on the stock turbo. I do completely agree though that up top the wrx does suck a lot. After the top of 3rd gear the car accelerates like a bus. I've upgraded the turbo on my wrx to turbo the same size as the stock sti turbo is....the vf34 and if you are into subaru's you know all about it. Even now with that turbo the car still doesn't pull very hard up top. Although I will say with the 6spd 1-3 goes by really quick and 4th isn't too bad either. I'm still so undecided about what to do. I love my wrx but I feel like I'd love an s2000 so much too. Its hard having it be my daily and only car I own so going back to stock especially because I have the 6spd isn't really all that easy and then I have to deal with trying to sell the car and finding a new one in a very small window of time. Now if you've had a chance to ride in a wrx with some extensively modified suspension you'd be pretty impressed or at least I have been. I know you can get the s2000 to handle better but I wonder for most people just how much of a difference there would be. I feel like its when you are really pushing the edge that the difference would really be seen. I've never driven an s2000 or really even researched much about it but one of the best things about awd is that you know the limit of grip you have. The car will never just loose grip all of a sudden and spin out. With a half decent tire you'll see it coming and have more than enough time to adjust. I just can't make up my mind
Old 05-16-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,May 16 2007, 07:18 AM
I've had RSX-S, WRX, R32, and currently, my S.
I gotta tell you, WRX was the worst.

Dan
I don't know how you could say that. Not to argue, but I've driven an RSX Type-S and I think it's a horrible car, in almost every way. I had an STi and it obviously blew my WRX away, but I miss my WRX more than any car I've owned...and my list is in my sig
Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 PM

^miss the wrx more than you think you'd miss the s2000? I get such different opinions on here compared to the subaru forum which is expected but I would have thought for sure there was someone that would say the wrx def does this better than the s2000 and I mean something performance wise other than getting off the line. Did most of you guys that previously owned a wrx have a lot of mods done to it or was it mostly stock? I will say bone stock a wrx is pretty unimpressive especially compared to a s2000 but it doesn't take much to bring a good amount of the car.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 PM

The S is my DD and only car. It is a pleasure to drive every day, whether im going fast or just getting from A to B. Where do you live? If you get a lot of snow you may want to consider a winter beater in addition to the S. Yes, there are plenty of folks who DD the S in snowy winters, and it does fine with snow tires, but generally you
Old 05-16-2007, 08:07 PM

I've heard of STI turbo and the 6sp, I'm on ClubWRX as well, not a lot like I do here but enough to catch up some good things. If I were to keep the car, Cobb stage2 is what I would do, definitely, I've heard they have this map out for WRX using STI turbo. It's so amazing that you can get almost 300HP for less $2,000 in MOD...

I used to drive my S all year round, once you get use to it, you'll know your car's limit. And more importantly, your tires limit at curtain speed and curtain temperature. The problem is the S has no play in drive train. If you are a good driver, it shows And if you are a sloppy driver, it shows too. It so easy to drive WRX smoothly, not so with the S, but that's why I like the feeling of achievement and reward when I do.

I remember someone on this board that also track his cars regularly, he has an S and WRX as a track car. He said that he tried everything to beef up the car and suspension, and it doesn't even as good as the S in stock form. I now know what he means. I can spend thousands of dollars order the best coilover, and then wait until when ever it's arrive, and then pay the premium for a reputable shop to install, tuned/align, test, tuned/align, test, until I'm satisfy, but I don't like the principle of doing that. I want something that is "this" ready right out of the box. With how loose the WRX's chassis is, compares to the S, the whole process would drive me up the wall. Ask any S owner that do track their cars, nothing below $3k worth of coilover will makes it better than stock, and yes, I learnt that the hard way too. I still have the crappy tires on the WRX, so I don't know the full potential of the car in stock form but, I have pushed it to the limit and it wasn't anywhere near the S at all.

Don't worry if you have to drive in the winter. I used LM22 on my '03 with great result. I remember the thing I like to do most after snow was taking my S out to an empty, big parking lot and just gone nuts like a pig in the mud. It was so fun! You have to really, really, really try to push it for the rear to come around. I was going side way around the parking lot, totally in-control. The thing would just keep digging and hold on to the ground and keep going. I was so impressed!!! A set of snow tires in winter and you are more than good to go, trust me. Again, know the limit of the car and the tires is the most important. You are most likely reach the tires's limit before the car.

I wish I could have the luxury of both car as well. Apparently, I can only have one and for my kind of driving pleasure, the S fits me the most. Don't forget to hang out in your home town forum section, join some meets they have, make friends. I'm sure you'll have tons of well broken in S2K in many flavors to try! We are cars lovers after all!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:37 PM

I have both.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:08 PM

S2000 is the first car i own and my daily driver, very happy with it.

Quick Reply: wrx to s2000