S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

**ABS** Light is ON, and not throwing any codes

Old 11-29-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up **ABS** Light is ON, and not throwing any codes

My ABS light is on and it will not turn off...so I'm totally stumped. I went through search, and FAQ's and can't find much info on this.

This is what I did:

One of the sensors was bad, so I changed it with a new one. After replacing the bad sensor, the ABS light should turn off, but it didn't turn off.

Therefore I used a scanner (large red rectangular shaped scanner) to see what other codes it wants to throw at me, thinking maybe there is something else wrong with the ABS...

Problem is... it's not throwing any codes anymore so I can't troubleshoot it. I tried clearing the code, I tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the car and the ABS light is still on.

When I turn my car on, the ABS light is not on...but after about 3-5seconds the ABS comes back on.

What are some things I can do to troubleshoot this and find out what's wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated

-E
Old 11-29-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're using a generic OBD scantool (for emissions) it will not show any ABS fault codes.

How did you know one of the sensors was bad? It almost sounds like the sensors was not the issue, since you replaced it to no avail.

Your comment about the 3-5 seconds leads me to an error which is detected by the self-check procedure which the ABS unit will go through after start-up and engine running. The only self checks to my knowledge that run so 'late' are ABS pump and the valves.

You can check the ABS fuse, pump fuse and the ABS unit relay. However, I would recommend that you go to the Honda dealer and have the ABS fault code retrieved with a special ABS scantool.

Afterthought: Normally you would have to drive the car first to reset the error code relating to a wheel sensor!!! Maybe it can't be 'reset' by a simple battery disconnection. Did you already drive the car above 10 mph??

Good luck!!

Siepel
Old 11-29-2006, 04:54 PM

Hey Ethen,

By any chance, does your AC work when the ABS light is on? Cuz I knew a person that had the same problem as you with a 2001 and her car didn't have AC while the ABS light was on. In fact, the side mirrors controls wouldn't work as well. It was a PITA during summer with no AC.

Kenny
Old 11-29-2006, 06:08 PM

SIEPEL -- I used a OBD2 and it does give fault codes, and I did drive it above 10mph. All the fuses are good, but I haven't checked the unit relay. How would I go about checking that?

I do remember the tech saying that it was giving off some code about the front ABS sensor being faulty, but the code didn't specify exactly what the problem was? I'm not 100% sure...

Anymore suggestions? Could it be that the sensor is misaligned? Could there be a "short" in another ABS sensor wiring somewhere?

ANY INFO regarding ABS lights is gold to me at this point

KENNY -- Yeah, my AC blows cold
Old 11-29-2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Siepel,Nov 29 2006, 05:47 PM
If you're using a generic OBD scantool (for emissions) it will not show any ABS fault codes.
This is true.

Originally Posted by if lookz kill
SIEPEL -- I used a OBD2 and it does give fault codes,
You are missing the distinction. If you your dealer/mechanic did it and it was a "large red rectangular shaped scanner" it does not sound OEM, maybe the Snap-On MODIS system. If it was Snap-On MODIS then yes it would retrieve you ABS DTC. What Siepel said is 100% correct.

Next step would be to get your ABS DTC again, and take note of it this time.

You can check an ABS DTC by jumping PIN4 to PIN9 on your OBD2 DLC. Looks like the link I always post as an example is having trouble with their SQL server right now, maybe this link will work in a while.
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=CEL
The only difference is your ABS light will blink out the DTC, not the CEL. The DTC can then be looked up in the Helms. You may still want to take it to the dealer if there is a real problem, because the dealer can access the ABS datastreams as well.
Good luck
Old 11-30-2006, 03:37 AM

Could just be intermittent connection in an ABS sensor wire. Maybe the wires got pulled on if the suspension was being worked on?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by SenderGreen,Nov 29 2006, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by if lookz kill
SIEPEL -- I used a OBD2 and it does give fault codes,
You are missing the distinction. If you your dealer/mechanic did it and it was a "large red rectangular shaped scanner" it does not sound OEM, maybe the Snap-On MODIS system. If it was Snap-On MODIS then yes it would retrieve you ABS DTC. What Siepel said is 100% correct.

Next step would be to get your ABS DTC again, and take note of it this time.

You can check an ABS DTC by jumping PIN4 to PIN9 on your OBD2 DLC. Looks like the link I always post as an example is having trouble with their SQL server right now, maybe this link will work in a while.
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=CEL
The only difference is your ABS light will blink out the DTC, not the CEL. The DTC can then be looked up in the Helms. You may still want to take it to the dealer if there is a real problem, because the dealer can access the ABS datastreams as well.
Good luck
Some good info, I'll look into this in more detail...and yes I think it is the snap on scan tool
Old 11-30-2006, 01:53 PM

does brake fluid level have anything to do with it?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 274 Posts

Was the car in an accident?

Which sensor was replaced?

Is the sensor seated fully in the hub, and not cocked?

Is the tone ring on the hub or axle completely undamaged?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM

Found out what was wrong. It was a short in the front left side wiring to the ABS sensor on the modulator.

Thanks for the help guys