S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

About to purchase ap1 - quick questions

Old 12-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Prep I did for my AP1.
Intake Retainer upgrade to AP2.(exhaust is good as is) and good close look at all exhaust retainers.
Upgrade banjo bolts(that's for you)
Test Pipe
Catch Can setup
Wideband and Boost monitoring system
Upgraded fuel pump(my setup is higher than yours)
Upgrade fuel pump wiring.
Injector upgrade
Map Sensor Upgrade
I will be putting in a dedicated oil return line to the pan but that's not mandatory.
I have an '04 Tranny and '06 Diff so those are "upgraded a little over AP1's)

When they put the head back on an upgrade to APR studs is probably in order. And root cause of the burnt valve would be good to know.

Probably a couple other things I am missing but that's about it.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update --- they ended up pulling the head off and it was only the piston sleeve and ring of cylinder 4, the machine shop fixed it and valves were fine. Wasn't too bad $ wise but question I meant to ask that I didn't have a chance to.

When you pull the head and have some machine work done do you have to rebreak in the engine or are you good to go? Just trying to figure out how I should be driving it for now and for how many miles???

Got lucky on tbis one very grateful and I had APR head studs installed as my first prep for the sc setup down the road, can't wait to get the car back! Only 15 degree weather and snow on the ground... should be a perfect day to ride with top down
Old 01-11-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by edhgreatone
Quick update --- they ended up pulling the head off and it was only the piston sleeve and ring of cylinder 4, the machine shop fixed it and valves were fine. Wasn't too bad $ wise but question I meant to ask that I didn't have a chance to.

When you pull the head and have some machine work done do you have to rebreak in the engine or are you good to go? Just trying to figure out how I should be driving it for now and for how many miles???

Got lucky on tbis one very grateful and I had APR head studs installed as my first prep for the sc setup down the road, can't wait to get the car back! Only 15 degree weather and snow on the ground... should be a perfect day to ride with top down
Do some WOT operation in higher gears - 3rd or 4th gear at lower rpms - for say 10-20 second bursts on open clear roads. This will put pressure on the new ring to seat properly on the cylinder wall. Go easy for about 100 miles, most of the break-in is done by the first 100 miles. Run it WOT from maybe 2000 rpms to 5000 rpms during those runs, do it as often as you can when safe to do so and no chance of getting a speeding ticket on an open road. It isn't a WOT blast through the gears, just hold it in one gear and run wide open throttle for a bit. After 100 miles run it as usual and increase the rpms as you wish.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 Upgrades

Originally Posted by Pinky
Blackstone Labs

Prep I did for my AP1.
Intake Retainer upgrade to AP2.(exhaust is good as is) and good close look at all exhaust retainers.
Upgrade banjo bolts(that's for you)
Test Pipe
Catch Can setup
Wideband and Boost monitoring system
Upgraded fuel pump(my setup is higher than yours)
Upgrade fuel pump wiring.
Injector upgrade
Map Sensor Upgrade
I will be putting in a dedicated oil return line to the pan but that's not mandatory.
I have an '04 Tranny and '06 Diff so those are "upgraded a little over AP1's)

When they put the head back on an upgrade to APR studs is probably in order. And root cause of the burnt valve would be good to know.

Probably a couple other things I am missing but that's about it.

hey man just curious did you just opt out for oem injectors or did you go aftermarket?