S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AC Problem

Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problem

Hi Fellow S2ki members,

Have an AC problem, so after replacing the motor on my car I went to get my AC Recharged (disconnected the lines), the AC Tech said that the car is taking the freon but for some reason the air isn't cold even though the AC compressor turns on (Fan's turn on, RPMS Jump up, etc). He said the AC Compressor is broken, and is quoting me $800 to replace it. I can have it replaced (labor wise) for a lot cheaper through a trusted mechanic friend. Does that sound like a compressor problem? I read somewhere on the forums about it might be the dryer but I don't understand the different parts of an AC system
Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if its overcharge, the ac will not be cold too. Did he empty the system and recharge it again?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by franky
if its overcharge, the ac will not be cold too. Did he empty the system and recharge it again?
I'm not sure if he did, but the system was empty prior because my mechanic who replaced the motor emptied out the ac to disconnect the compressor/lines. Just checked it yesterday, when i flip on the AC switch, the fan's turn on, but RPM's doesn't jump up, is this normal?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 AM

Received 1,572 Likes on 936 Posts

The a/c compressor does not run or "engage" 100% of the time. You can see a compressor engage then disengage normally by looking at the front of the compressor with the belt pulley. It is engaged magnetically. The cycling engagement is what causes the rpm to vary.
The compressor will not engage if the freon is low, is off, has an electrical problem, or in its brief pause operating cycle.
If indeed there is enough freon (enough to close the pressure switch) it should engage allowing additional freon to be charged. You mentioned ac tech, so I hope the person is knowledgable on these systems to know what he is doing. He is going to have to add a bit first as it was completely empty.
That being said, check fuses.
It seems suspicious that it was working before and suddenly it won't work after recharge. If this is a high school kid tech, take it to a real mechanic first. Get a second opinion.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
The a/c compressor does not run or "engage" 100% of the time. You can see a compressor engage then disengage normally by looking at the front of the compressor with the belt pulley. It is engaged magnetically. The cycling engagement is what causes the rpm to vary.
The compressor will not engage if the freon is low, is off, has an electrical problem, or in its brief pause operating cycle.
If indeed there is enough freon (enough to close the pressure switch) it should engage allowing additional freon to be charged. You mentioned ac tech, so I hope the person is knowledgable on these systems to know what he is doing. He is going to have to add a bit first as it was completely empty.
That being said, check fuses.
It seems suspicious that it was working before and suddenly it won't work after recharge. If this is a high school kid tech, take it to a real mechanic first. Get a second opinion.
Sorry for the noob question but what is the label for the AC Fuse? I read somewhere about trying to jump the high/low pressure switch/ check fuses but I don't see the fuses/switches anywhere. Been looking for pictures & diagrams on the forums but no luck
Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 1,572 Likes on 936 Posts

Shoot, on the road with only my mobile. Can't help you right now, would need to refer to my electrical manual. Frankly, its probably not the fuse. If it worked before and now does not, I don't think it should be unless the circuit is on something that was nailed during other work. Make sure it does have some kind of a charge. If you want to do it yourself, start it up with the ac on and then pressurize low pressure fill port. See how much is in there and then start adding. You know you have enough for the pressure switch when the compressor suddenly engages. The pauses will get shorter the more freon you add. Do not overfill. I believe the quantity is listed under the hood on a decal.
Double check for leaks. Double check electrical connections. Nothing was installed inverted or not to the point of connectors "clicking" closed.