S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Aftermarket clutch premature wear

Old 08-27-2015, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket clutch premature wear

Hi,

Wanted to know opinions here on what may be causing premature clutch wear on my car.
I dont do clutch drops,burnouts etc.
The car is not a daily driver

I have a 2007 which the oem clutch lasted several miles (without the cdv). On 2011 (my car was NA and had 239whp) i replaced the oem clutch with a SOS sport clutch kit and lightened flywheel. This setup only lasted me a year. Called SOS and they told me that it must have been with something with the clutch engagement adjustment (i think in the pedal)

So i replaced the sos kit with an Act heavy duty combo,which includes their street disc. The sos flywheel didnt need resurface as per my mechanics recommendation so i reused it again. A year later (late 2013) I boosted the car and have over 448whp and 350tq. Been driving perfectly until last week that i began to feel slippage in high rpms within shifts under load, and burning clutch smell.

Is this wear normal? 2 clutch kits in 4 years? Is it the lightened flywheel? Is the adjustment in the pedal for the clutch engagement(sos theory)?

Regards
Old 08-27-2015, 02:56 AM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

So...did you check the freeplay (pedal) adjustment? Or YOLO?

It could definitely be that your pedal adjustment (its actually a master cylinder adjustment) is way too tight. If that is the case, the clutch will always be partially disengaged with some hydraulic force, and wear out quickly.

You should check that.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

RE the SOS sport clutch. I put the SOS sport clutch in my stock '06 DD a few years back. Although the clutch release and shifting was effortless as advertised, the initial engagement was quite abrupt. To start smoothly from a stop and driving in commute traffic, I found myself excessively slipping the clutch engagement to prevent the car from lurching. In one year I had fried my disk; wore the friction material to the base material of the disk.
I had/have and AP1 FW and slave cylinder. Am now running an OEM PP with friction disk spec'd by BlackTrax.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ES2K
RE the SOS sport clutch. I put the SOS sport clutch in my stock '06 DD a few years back. Although the clutch release and shifting was effortless as advertised, the initial engagement was quite abrupt. To start smoothly from a stop and driving in commute traffic, I found myself excessively slipping the clutch engagement to prevent the car from lurching. In one year I had fried my disk; wore the friction material to the base material of the disk.
I had/have and AP1 FW and slave cylinder. Am now running an OEM PP with friction disk spec'd by BlackTrax.

I have recently had a SOS clutch installed and noticed it engages quite abruptly as well. It seems to have gotten better but like you said I find myself slipping the clutch engagement. How much power are you making?

I hope I don't end up wearing out my disk in a year..
Old 08-31-2015, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the SOS clutch as well. It engages abruptly the first 10 mins of driving were very interesting lol. I had a 180 mile drive home after it was installed so I got used to it pretty fast! However I'm ditching the clutch in a few months cause I need more boost and 300 lbs it's rated at isn't going to cut it.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the responses. Havent checked the pedal adjustment. Might do that after I replace it this time.

What clutck kits are you guys planning on next?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oem disc, act pp, and ap1 flywheel. This is what the majority of ppl run. Has an oem feel and is rated at 370 lbs
Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by rtboy10
Originally Posted by ES2K' timestamp='1440788456' post='23729796

I have recently had a SOS clutch installed and noticed it engages quite abruptly as well. It seems to have gotten better but like you said I find myself slipping the clutch engagement. How much power are you making?

This is a attribute of their clutch, but its on the friction disc side. Use the OEM disk with the SOS pressure plate to remedy this and retain the added holding capacity attributes. Its what i did and works great, just like stock engagement. DO NOT ditch the SOS pressure plate and get a whole new clutch, just replace the $125 friction disc with an OEM. SOS will not sell you just their PP, so you have to pay an initial price of admission if you want the opportunity for the best feeling FI clutch on the market which held my 280 -290rwtrq. It is under rated at the claimed 255rwtrq.

To the OP, I suspect you don't have any free play in your clutch which is unfortunate. This may then be a case of self inflicted damage. Also keep in mind that at 350rwtrq you are starting to push the limits of the Act PP. Its only rated to 350-380 engine trq if I recall.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by rtboy10' timestamp='1441033803' post='23732219
[quote name='ES2K' timestamp='1440788456' post='23729796']

This is a attribute of their clutch, but its on the friction disc side. Use the OEM disk with the SOS pressure plate to remedy this and retain the added holding capacity attributes. Its what i did and works great, just like stock engagement. DO NOT ditch the SOS pressure plate and get a whole new clutch, just replace the $125 friction disc with an OEM. SOS will not sell you just their PP, so you have to pay an initial price of admission if you want the opportunity for the best feeling FI clutch on the market which held my 280 -290rwtrq. It is under rated at the claimed 255rwtrq.

To the OP, I suspect you don't have any free play in your clutch which is unfortunate. This may then be a case of self inflicted damage. Also keep in mind that at 350rwtrq you are starting to push the limits of the Act PP. Its only rated to 350-380 engine trq if I recall.
[/quote]

Thanks i will check that... What kit would be a good setup for 350+ rwtrq?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

300 ft lbs @ 8,000 rpm = 456 ish hp. These high revving motors never make much torque. As long as you can handle 320ish ft lbs you should be fine.