S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another tranny issue

Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Another tranny issue

I have a 02 AP1 with 31k miles and the tranny is giving me two issues. 2nd is notchy when engaging and you can actually hear the "crunch", I also have a problem with 3rd and 4th but it's a little different. Going into 3rd and 4th half way into engaging either gear the shifter feels like I'm sliding something into a fan. This happens every single shift when the tranny is cold, once it warms up or after driving on the freeway for a while 2nd becomes smooth but 3rd and 4th still give me that problem but not as bad. I flushed the old trans fluid out and refilled it with Honda MTF and the problems still continue. Is this tranny toast? Lol

EDIT: Now that the car is parked for winter I've finally had a chance to work on it a little more. Popped off the clutch fluid cap and I noticed it was very low and extreamly black, topped it off a little and it was still really dark. I'm going to be flushing it tomorrow but I wanted to know if this could maybe be the cause of my notchy tranny?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fernando.
I have a 02 AP1 with 31k miles and the tranny is giving me two issues. 2nd is notchy when engaging and you can actually hear the "crunch", I also have a problem with 3rd and 4th but it's a little different. Going into 3rd and 4th half way into engaging either gear the shifter kicks back so to say, I have to keep some force on the shifter or else it'll just kick back into neautral. This happens every single shift when the tranny is cold, once it warms up or after driving on the freeway for a while 2nd becomes smooth but 3rd and 4th still give me that problem but not as bad. I flushed the old trans fluid out and refilled it with Honda MTF and the problems still continue. Is this tranny toast? Lol
it may or may not be. the ap1 trans has crappy synchros I bought my car 2nd hand and I had to get a reman. tranny after 40k cuz the 5th gear synchro went bad. but try one more last ditch to see if its the transmission replace the trans fluid with GM synchromesh. may not be related but is the clutch worn out?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 AM

I doubt the clutch is worn out at 31k miles, it still feels great. You think the GM Synchromesh would help?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tranny is junk, replace it with a ap2 if u are looking for one lemme know i think i know a guy selling one
-richie
Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 AM

If you have to hold 3rd and 4th with your hand at low RPMs then your synchros on those gears are gone and your gears will be gone in about a year give or take depending on how often you drive and how often the gears pop out and grind.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt the clutch is worn out at 31k miles, it still feels great. You think the GM Synchromesh would help?
It might but no promises its just a cheap one last "hoo rah" before condeming the tranny $30 vs $1500 worth a shot. but like dimetry said I think they are gone ts very common on the ap1's
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 AM

I do not have to hold the shifter when its IN gear, I can keep it in third or fourth, accelerate and it stays in gear. I'm saying it's difficult to engage 3rd and 4th because the shifter kicks back.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:14 AM

I do not have to hold the shifter when its IN gear, I can keep it in third or fourth, accelerate and it stays in gear. I'm saying it's difficult to engage 3rd and 4th because the shifter kicks back.
Ok if it's not popping out of gear like you described it in the first post ("I have to keep some force on the shifter or else it'll just kick back into neutral") then all you need to do is change the trans fluid for Amsoil MTF synchromesh if you haven't change it. Re-grease the whole shifter. You need to remove the shifter, clean and re-grease with Honda Super High Temp Urea Grease. And you still have to go thru all the gears every time before you start moving when the car is cold to lube up the gears. Just make a habit of it. you will see that at first it won't go into some of the gears and then it will start to loosen up as the fluid does it's magic. You don't have to do all of the steps I told you, start with the cheapest one. But if you do all of them combined your shifter is gonna feel like it's covered in butter. They are all part of maintenance anyway!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 AM

Ahh, thanks. What I ment in the first post is as I'm sliding the shifter into said gear it wants to bounce back and not go in, once it's in it stays in gear perfectly fine! Will Amsoil MTF Synchromesh be better than GM Synchromesh? I've read that the Amsoil stuff is really notchy and hard to shift in colder weather.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 AM

lol I guess there are mixed reviews about it cuz I've heard the complete opposite. Amsoil is what I've used and it works like a charm! Just remember to go thru the gears everyday right before you start moving. Just the way you warm up to lube the engine and get the oil up to the right temperature, it's the same procedure with your transmission except that it's done manually of course. I usually start up the car, go clutch deep and I go thru all the gears including reverse about 3 to 4 times.

Every time I do it the 1st round 1st, 2nd and R won't go in gear. I dont force it into gear though cuz I would be defeating the purpose of lubing the gears for protection.

The 2nd round 1st and 2nd are a little notchy but all of them go in gear, and after the 3rd round everything is nice and smooth. Just repeat as needed.

I only drive my s2k twice a week so maybe that's why I made a ritual of it.

Quick Reply: Another tranny issue