S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 a.c. pressures are equal on both sides.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, the simplest answer is often the most likely to be correct. I'll check it out.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:26 AM

just an update: pulled the pressure switch off the evaporator the other day with the car running, the clutch disengages instantly. plug it back in and it engages again. so clutch is good. did take some more readings. tried to add some more freon but the low side pressure was still too high. definitely looking like bleed through inside the compressor. reed valves or whatever one way mechanism is failing. let out 40psi on the low side with the car off and it showed the loss of psi on the high side. so for sure seems like a compressor failure. going to order a new compressor and drier. should i do anything with the expansion valve or not? going to probably blow the system back with the lines removed. anything else on these?

Tony
Old 06-29-2018, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyTranAP1
just an update: pulled the pressure switch off the evaporator the other day with the car running, the clutch disengages instantly. plug it back in and it engages again. so clutch is good. did take some more readings. tried to add some more freon but the low side pressure was still too high. definitely looking like bleed through inside the compressor. reed valves or whatever one way mechanism is failing. let out 40psi on the low side with the car off and it showed the loss of psi on the high side. so for sure seems like a compressor failure. going to order a new compressor and drier. should i do anything with the expansion valve or not? going to probably blow the system back with the lines removed. anything else on these?

Tony
Just make sure the high and low completely equalize with the engine off. If the expansion valve had blockage, it would pull the low side into a vacuum with the compressor running. I would follow back flushing procedures that should come with the receiver dryer. Back in the day it was liquid R-11 (can upside down) as it absorbs moisture and boils off quickly, nowadays I'm not sure.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:25 AM

Yeah I plan on replacing the drier and compressor. Everything else should be fine. Doing the backflow I'll purge with nitrogen then vacuum after the install. I'm not sure what the flush fluid is but it's from a manufacturer I've used before. Comes on an airline kit.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:23 AM

so update: today i got a chance to pull the system down for a few hours. removed both schrader valves to inspect the line for obvious debris and didn't see anything but some residual PAG oil in the bottom of the lines. pulled the vacuum and held the pull for around 2 hours and turned off the pump for another 2 hours and everything held up tight. when i put the can onto the center fill line. i purged it at the top near the fill manifold to get as much air out as possible. then opened the low side to weigh in the gas and it only took a couple ounces. reached the pressure you see on the low side. started it up to ensure it wasn't some kind of vapor lock in the system and nope. so i'm going to be buying a compressor and drier before i take her out of town in sept. just odd since it happened randomly one day and it's dead quiet. no rattling or squealing. just, doesn't work. anyhow i'll keep anyone updated who's having similar issues or is just curious. appreciate the input. cheers.

ALSO: if there's a thread on how to "resize" uploaded pictures i'd like that link. because this sizing is a bit absurd. thanks lol

Old 08-03-2018, 02:35 PM

well got everything replaced put freon back in after a 2 hour pull down AFTER a flush. looks like everything is working great. the pressures are still low and i weighed in about 12.2 oz roughly before the bottom fell out. but i'll finish it off after the weather clears up. old compressor was NOT working at all. tons of contamination but there was absolutely ZERO noise. so word to the wise, pay attention to your gauges. picture shows the "aluminum oil" that came out after i put it on the ground. plenty more next to my head lol. pull the bottom bracket (3 12mm BOLTS) to let her slide right out the bottom. really easy task actually. glad i could do it. hope this helps someone in the future.

The following 2 users liked this post by TonyTranAP1:
DocLore (08-20-2018), twohoos (08-03-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Somehow I don’t find a bad compressor surprising. I can’t seem to go more than a few days at work without running into a Honda with a bad compressor
Old 08-13-2018, 04:35 AM

Yeah, I heard the compressor fails but is noisy. Mine wasnt, just want working. Hopefully this helps someone in doubt. I spent a lot of time before I committed to the swap.