S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Before I tear my AC sytem apart.....

Old 09-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how would that all translate to the problems that I was experiencing? Are these just fail safes to prevent damage if the system is overcharged? If the thermal protector is damaged, could that be the cause of the bogging?

Once I get the compressor off, I'll also check that with a multimeter to make sure its functioning properly. I also just replaced the cabin air filter a few months back, but I'll check to make sure no fresh debris go in there to block things up.

As for the expansion valve, it looks like a fairly sturdy part, if there is no clearly damaged component, could it just need a cleaning and some lube? The consensus seems to be that the receiver/drier should be changed regardless, but if I can get away with cleaning the original expansion valve and returning the new one, that could save me a few bucks. Or, is it just better to swap in the new one just to be on the safe side?
Old 09-07-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So how would that all translate to the problems that I was experiencing? Best Guess, failing compressor than shed trash (e.g. bits of seal), which has plugged the expansion valve. You can test the plugged valve theory easily in operation with manifold/guage set.

Are these just fail safes to prevent damage if the system is overcharged? The pop-off is. The overheat sensor is against over heat whatever the cause. These might be fail safes to protect all other components. It might be too late for the compressor when they trip. Especially if they have tripped many times.

If the thermal protector is damaged, could that be the cause of the bogging? No. Turning the compressor off would not cause a bog. Turning it on, even when over hot, would be continuous, not cycling. And the compressor would be dead by now.

Once I get the compressor off, I'll also check that with a multimeter to make sure its functioning properly. I assume you mean the overheat sensor. You can only test it cold easily. To test hot, which is when it functions, you have to heat it. It's likely a bymetal "click disk" same as a motor protector.

As for the expansion valve, it looks like a fairly sturdy part, if there is no clearly damaged component, could it just need a cleaning and some lube? Lube? There are no moving parts. I don't think you understand what an expansion valve is. Google. wikipedia. I have never heard of cleaning one. Tiny inaccessable hole with trash that has been mashed in by 300+ PSI liquid freon.

======================================

I still think it will be easier and faster to do performance tests before you disassemble.

And yes I've been there, done that.