S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blown head gasket... HAS ANYONE DIY'd THIS - ANY TIPS?

Old 08-26-2014, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head gasket... HAS ANYONE DIY'd THIS - ANY TIPS?

Hello all, so I have a blown head gasket on my 2006 S2000. The car barely overheated for about 5 min, but I doubt it got enough to warp the head & no valve train damage. I was wondering how many people out there have replaced their own head gasket and about difficult is it?

Some background on me: I used to be an ASE master tech and worked at a honda dealership for about 3 yrs, as well as a Acura dealership for 2 yrs... So it's not like I'm a noob when it comes to motors. However, I stopped turning wrenches 5 yrs ago due to health issues, so I'm just a bit nervous about jumping back into a head job on my beloved s2k.

I've done several head & tranny jobs on cars like integra's and civics, as well as pulling apart & rebuilding those motors; so I do have a good amount of experience, but I never got the chance to do much work on s2k's when i was a tech.

Dealer quoted $1750 - $2200 to fix it and told me that other techs say its an intense job, but I've read the service manual and it doesn't seem to crazy. I was just wondering how difficult/complex most people found the job to be, or if it's just worth paying the dealership to do it and save the headache?

Any major issues or things to watch out for? Is it difficult to remove the rocker arm assembly without it the pins falling out? Any issues or headaches getting the timing chain off or putting it back on or setting the correct timing? Any issues with removing the intake manifold due to tight access?

Any info/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't done the job myself, haven't looked in the manual yet either, but I am a current Mercedes Benz tech and I will offer this. You've been in Honda motors before, it's really not that complex of a motor. Just take your time, take pictures and notes if you need to, stay organized and it should be a cakewalk. I was away from the dealership for about 5 years myself. It comes back to you pretty quick.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't done the job myself, haven't looked in the manual yet either, but I am a current Mercedes Benz tech and I will offer this. You've been in Honda motors before, it's really not that complex of a motor. Just take your time, take pictures and notes if you need to, stay organized and it should be a cakewalk. I was away from the dealership for about 5 years myself. It comes back to you pretty quick.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not a especially difficult job if you have experience before, I replace my gasket and did some valve job earlier this year for my ap2. You can used the elastic band trick to hold rockers from falling apart, but definitely be careful when you lift them off. The timing is easy, just follow the manual. There is a pin sticking out that keeps the chain from falling in, just be careful don't drop the collar washer into the chain case when removing the bolt, otherwise it's gonna be nightmare to fish it out. I took the intake manifold down together with the head, took them apart, cleaned the intake ports, then assembled them with new bolts and gasket before installing back.

The most annoy things I found was one of the water outlet bolts, it's hiding underneath in a very tight space and practically impossible for me to reach it before lifting the head a little bit, and it was my first thing to do when installing head back. Some of the bracket bolts are quite tricky too, you need to find the right tool, like flex head ratchet, box wrench, etc.

Anyway, I found it much easier to put together than taking apart, since some parts are especially tight, like the hoses, bolts and even the cam caps. Another suggestion will be sit the car on jack stands, any regular size man will have serious back pain if you work on the height of s2k. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like you shouldn't have a problem at all. being you were a former master tech.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Have done this a few times. There's a trick with rubber bands to hold the VTEC assembly together for removal/reassembly that you should look up.

Actually I found the pics:

Old 08-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh and removing the intake manifold is tricky on RHD. Lots of very inaccessible bolts. Might be different on LHD.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The worst part is unbolting the intake manifold . It is one serious pain in your back . I could not walk after i did one for a full day . Wide rubber bands are best for keeping the rockers together . Don't forget the ground wires on the back of the head .
Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to say thanks to all the info everyone offered. I have seen the rubber band trick and will be sure to go that route, thanks again for all the help, I'll be starting on the head this Saturday, keeping my fingers crossed for a smooth job.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

If you have done this jobs on other Hondas then you will be fine. I don't find it really much more different than your typical b series or k series.