S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cannot put into gear in cold

Old 03-01-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot put into gear in cold

I've been doing some reading but wanted a little more info or to see what the fix would be for the following.

I got my 04 with ~54k miles on it, with a new clutch/fluids in trans/diff done by previous owner at ~50k. Everything seems to be fine except for the following few things:

1) If it is cold out, I cannot put it into gear. From doing reading and from my own experimenting this seems to be the clutch and not the tranny, since if I park it in gear I can move freely after starting UNTIL I let out the clutch while in N, then I can't get back into gear. If I park in N then I cannot enter any gear until it has warmed up. I guess this means the cold is causing the clutch to lock and the pedal isn't doing anything until it warms up. I even got a little grind trying to put into first when at a dead stop with clutch pedal depressed all the way, which was what gave it away as being a clutch problem. This does not happen if the temp is above freezing or after the car warms for 3 mins or so with the engine running. Any fixes for this? The car was only used in summer, but I plan on driving it in winter as well, so do I need to use a certain fluid that will handle the temp better, or is there an issue with the clutch itself and the install?

2) Every once in a while, when putting it into gear for the first time, it will 'clunk' and feel like the tranny moved a bit, after that it is fine. It doesn't have any impact on driving, but may be cold related as well. Hard to tell as it has been 10-20 degrees when I have been starting the car and having this issue.

3) This may be a characteristic of the engine, but the 3-3.5k RPM range seems to drone a bit if holding speed or during decel, but doesn't make it if accelerating. This happens in every gear and only in this RPM range. Makes 30-35 MPH zones a pain in 4th, and that is right about too low to be in 5th. Just want to make sure that it is normal.

Any suggestions or reassurance would be great. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 PM

I didn't know S's ran in such cold temperatures. That is crazy!!!

1. Can you not get into reverse? Or any gear? If its reverse try going itno 1 or 3 then reverse, if that fails let the clutch out and retry. Maybe your car just needs new HOnda MTF.

2. Clunk is not good, maybe the diff ?

3. My tranny makes a terrible rattle under those conditions... always has, always will.

Maybe the new fluids the owner put in were not the right ones? Some members here are very religious on fluids!

Good luck!!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:50 PM

1. this problem is pretty common, after all, it is cold weather. i solve this problem by double clutching, rev your engine to approximately 3-4k rpm mark while in neutral and quickly engage clutch and shift to desired gear (whether 1st or reverse)

2. ?? may be weather related, but might need to elaborate more.

3. i could only assume by your explanation that this is your tranny, not your engine. if this is the case it might be the gear backlash.

***edit. it seems you have a MY04, gear backlash doesn't apply to your model.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the replies - the issue with the first problem I believe is that the clutch is stuck, not letting me shift into any gear. I will have to see if revving in neutral helps me get in gear. I never have to do this in the STI, however I have had the parking brake freeze on in these temps...

The 'clunk' is just that. It has happened when I get it in gear for the first time when the car has been parked in N - there is no grind, just a clunk and the feeling that it came from the transmission right after I put it in gear. Imagine almost feeling like by moving the shifter you drop a hunk of metal 1/4 inch or so, at least that is what it feels like. I think this might be temp related as well.

I will have to contact the seller and ask what fluids were used, but I believe he researched on here before doing everything.

The droning noise I might have to record and post - I have found other posts about it, but many times people just say it is normal or it could be a problem with the diff. I see it mostly mentioned in the AP1 though, so I was thinking maybe the sound I was hearing was just a quirk of the car.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:50 PM

Any other advice? Here is some more info:

Before starting engine, can freely move into all gears with clutch pedal in or out. There is no fluid in the cabin. Transmission fluid was changed just 3k miles ago using Honda OEM fluid.

Would a bad master/slave possibly cause this? Air in the line? Next step that I can think of is to replace all clutch fluid, after that who knows?

On the clunk, it happens when putting into gear in a stop, normally into first - I have never had it happen when shifting if the car is physically rolling still. It isn't a grind, just a thump that seems to come directly from the transmission.

Any info is appreciated.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:17 PM

When this happens I usually shift it to 3rd from neutral am then first or reverse to start moving hen it's cold out I have the same problem. Just shift it to third then take it out then t o 1st hope this helps
Old 03-02-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by seoul2k,Mar 2 2010, 04:17 PM
When this happens I usually shift it to 3rd from neutral am then first or reverse to start moving hen it's cold out I have the same problem. Just shift it to third then take it out then t o 1st hope this helps
I can't even get it into 3rd without really forcing it. Will forcing even when it is resisting damage anything?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Try this

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=22&t=745464
https://www.s2ki.com/stor/library/TSB/A02-046/index.htm

Bleed and/or change your clutch fluid.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:16 PM

mine was doing the same thing, the cause was no fluid in the master cylinder...