S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cat to Exhaust Gasket?

Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock Honda gasket at the rear of the cat is a crush ring gasket. If you buy a new one it will be a rounded ring. After you install it for the first time it crushes flat and embeds inside of the exhaust flange. You can pull it off to replace it with a small flat head screw driver or a pick. It's not really meant to be reused.

All of the aftermarket exhausts or test pipes should come with the flat gasket that you see in xviper's picture above.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan@BerkTechnology.com,Oct 12 2005, 07:09 PM
The stock Honda gasket at the rear of the cat is a crush ring gasket. If you buy a new one it will be a rounded ring. After you install it for the first time it crushes flat and embeds inside of the exhaust flange. You can pull it off to replace it with a small flat head screw driver or a pick. It's not really meant to be reused.

All of the aftermarket exhausts or test pipes should come with the flat gasket that you see in xviper's picture above.
Uh oh. Then I just installed the OE exhaust using the aftermarket gasket and I don't remember if the crush ring gasket was still on the exhaust. Doh! I don't hear any leaks, but I guess I'll go back under there and do it right.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:21 PM

So a question for both Xviper and Bryan (more Bryan considering I bought a test pipe from him and have yet to install it):

I'm assuming from the header comes a donut gasket, which is a thick threaded metal and I'm assuming you just reuse that and slide the test pipe over it without the need of an additional/replacement gasket?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Idyfohu,Oct 12 2005, 10:21 PM
So a question for both Xviper and Bryan (more Bryan considering I bought a test pipe from him and have yet to install it):

I'm assuming from the header comes a donut gasket, which is a thick threaded metal and I'm assuming you just reuse that and slide the test pipe over it without the need of an additional/replacement gasket?
It's not "threaded". It's just a big soft metal donut that conforms to the join. The service manual says to get a new one anytime you change the cat (to a test pipe in this case) but I never did. I got a new one when I did the Toda header. I just re-used that one. Seems to be fine. No other gasket is needed.
It's the ring at the top center of the photo:
Old 10-14-2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan@BerkTechnology.com,Oct 13 2005, 01:09 AM

If you're replacing an OEM exhaust, you'll want to pry the old crush gasket out of the OEM exhaust and replace it with a new one. It's not permanently attached, just takes a little prying to get out and it isn't a good idea to reuse it as its a crush type.

But if you're using an aftermarket exhaust you'll want to go with one of the flat triangular gaskets

-J