S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL and bogging

Old 11-30-2011, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL and bogging

Went to start up the car to head out to work and it started up as normal.. hard to start than starts up fine.. but this time it starting bogging out bad and the ultimate worst fear CEL!!! Ahhhhh.. I then checked the oil and its almost freaking completely out!!!! I poured (the only reserved oil bottle left) in about almost 1 quart and the bogging seem to get better but the CEL is still active. I'm hoping for the best and already expecting the worst.. Engine failure! I'm always good on oil changing and levels..

Should I go ahead and change the oil or just add more oil and is the motor already damaged because of its indication of bogging? Can any experts on motors diagnosis this question? I just pray that its just a bad sensor setting off the CEL and I was already just on low oil.. Gulp! "Low oil=Knock Sensor=Bad Bottom Block=$=Headache?" As being a one year owner only, my car has never showed any signs of oil consumption as many other owners have stated.

INFO: Changed around Feb. 2011 and oil has less then 10,000 miles of usage

5W30 Amsoil 25,000 or up to one year of oil life

Royal Purple Filter (Had one at the time so I used it.. should of bought an Amsoil Filter)
Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardles of Amsoils rec of up to 25,000mi, the S2000 is an atypical high reving engine that probably should be changed more frequently, For peace of mind, use your maintanance minder as a reminder to change your oil. How did the car run/sound after the oil top off? I'm hoping you may have dodged a bullit. GL
Old 11-30-2011, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the CEL to know for sure what the problem is (can go to an AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts to get it pulled for free). Hopefully you dodged a bullet, but be aware that AP1's tend to burn through oil fairly quickly, especially with VTEC engagement. Do a bit more homework on the S2000 and what it needs to 'survive' to ensure this doesn't happen again. Even with a great oil, I wouldn't do more than 10k miles between oil changes unless a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) is done recommending otherwise. Go ahead and do another oil and filter change and might as well check your transmission fluid and differential fluid while you are at it.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckon
Pull the CEL to know for sure what the problem is (can go to an AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts to get it pulled for free). Hopefully you dodged a bullet, but be aware that AP1's tend to burn through oil fairly quickly, especially with VTEC engagement. Do a bit more homework on the S2000 and what it needs to 'survive' to ensure this doesn't happen again. Even with a great oil, I wouldn't do more than 10k miles between oil changes unless a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) is done recommending otherwise. Go ahead and do another oil and filter change and might as well check your transmission fluid and differential fluid while you are at it.
This.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 AM

OK, I just pulled the codes P0302 and P1399... Misfiring?? what would cause this? I restarted the car again to see what kind of condition it was in and the motor was shaky and the rpm drops after the motor revs up and it starts bogging.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

P0302 is cylinder misfire on #2 cylinder.

P1399 is a random misfire code and honda has reported for various models that this could be caused by clogged EGR ports. Also there is the possibility that the valve clearance spec may be out of range.

May want to check the valve clearance......
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

How can I check the vavle clearance?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:15 PM

I forgot to add that as I shut the car down and walked away I could smell heavy fuel.. Check under the car no leaks also
Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

misfires can also be caused by bad injectors, bad spark plugs, bad coilpacks

I have extra injectors and coilpacks if you need some
Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k
misfires can also be caused by bad injectors, bad spark plugs, bad coilpacks

I have extra injectors and coilpacks if you need some
Thanks for the offer and I'll let you know if I'll be in need. I just ordered new plugs (odometer reading at 101,000 miles also) and an oil change. I hope this will resovle the issue. This is my DD so I need to get it going and up asap.

Quick Reply: CEL and bogging