S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL and bogging

Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long had it been since you checked the oil level prior to discovering that it was that low? It's a good idea (even more so with oil burning AP1s) to check the oil level at least once a week (or more if you drive a lot). If you had just recently checked the oil level and it went from full to low in a short period of time, you need to look for a major leak. If the new spark plugs don't fix the issue for you, you can test to see if the ignition coil for cylinder 2 may be at fault by either testing the resistance on the coil with a multimeter, or by moving the coil to a different cylinder, resetting the CEL, and seeing if the misfire code switches to that cylinder. A fuel injector that is stuck open or a bad ignition component (coil or spark plug) can cause the strong fuel smell as unburned fuel is getting dumped into the cylinder.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM

I hate to say it but its been a few months.. but this time I'm really going to keep my eye on it! I really would be kicking myself if this issue could of be avoid by the user-ME!!!!!! Thanks for the fuel smelling tip NFRAP2!
Old 12-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Ok, this morning I went to start the car up again and the bogging seems to have gotten a lot better. I erased the codes this past Wednesday and it surfaced again with the same cel code- P0302 and P1399. I'm almost positive that it's a bad coil or spark plug. I searched another thread here with a video posting about spun bearings and knocking motor and my engine is no where near that sound of the video posted. It seemed to have gotten better from my pouring that reserved quart, but for sure it has no oil period! Makes me wonder about the relationship between me and my beloved car!??? Is it worth it to feed it oil all the time? just questioning my devotion.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Ok, this morning I went to start the car up again and the bogging seems to have gotten a lot better. I erased the codes this past Wednesday and it surfaced again with the same cel code- P0302 and P1399. I'm almost positive that it's a bad coil or spark plug. I searched another thread here with a video posting about spun bearings and knocking motor and my engine is no where near that sound of the video posted. It seemed to have gotten better from my pouring that reserved quart, but for sure it has no oil period! Makes me wonder about the relationship between me and my beloved car!??? Is it worth it to feed it oil all the time? just questioning my devotion.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Ok, I swapped out the plugs ugh!! Junk!! All bad and about the right time to change as Honda states. Cleared the code. Swapped coil 2 with coil 4 and now I have all misfiring in all cylinders! WTF! I'm super confused and stressed!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Changed oil, put coil 2 back in cylinder and all back to stock.. Another code p1410. I don't know anymore.. So many codes
Old 12-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Don't give up on your s2k because you failed to check the oil level for months. You should check the oil level at least once a week with any car because you never know when an oil leak might develop which could quickly starve the engine for oil. my s2k does not burn oil but I still check my oil level almost every time I drive.
P1410 appears to be a code for an air pump malfunction, which is not serious in and of itself. You might have unplugged something related to the air pump by mistake when you were working in the engine bay. Did you reset the codes prior to swapping the coil to cylinder 4? I hate to ask, but you only swapped the coils around and not the connectors right? If you somehow swapped the connectors around your cylinders would fire in the wrong order causing misfire codes.
Multiple cylinder misfires can be caused by many different things, but the fact that your misfire is accompanied by a strong fuel odor makes me suspect fuel or spark related issues. I would take dfws2k up on his generous offer to let you use some of his spare coil packs so you can at least rule out that possibility. Once you are able to rule out fuel and spark, the next thing I would check is compression (or you could go ahead and check this now for peace of mind). I used to own a car that was getting multiple cylinder misfire codes and the problem ended up being low compression in two adjacent cylinders due to a cracked head gasket.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the support! I took the coil sitting nearest to the firewall (I assume is cylinder 2) and swapped it out with the coil next to it. The code was cleared already, but after I did the exchange I still received a P0302 cel. I cleared the code and started up the car and that is when I got the cel reading all cylinders misfiring. After clearing that code, I swapped back the coil #2 to it's original cylinder and #4 coil back to the 4th cylinder and received a P1410. I bought some seafoam and filled up a full tank of 93 octane Chevon. I'm still researching and I drained the oil and I almost topped off a 1 gallon milk jug. I hope someone can shed some light on my situation.

I drove it to get gas and it was misfiring but drivable. Could someone post a link on how to test coils and the firing order? I tried searching but couldn't find out if the order was true for our car.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

p1410 wouldn't have anything to do with swapping coilpacks, unless you unplugged something you shouldn't have

if your p1410 is valid, then you need an air pump or an air pump delete kit (PM me, i have both)

here's a link to some more things to try before buying any parts:

http://s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-...399-codes.html

seeing as how your misfire code didn't follow coilpacks, i'm going to guess injectors, if you have already changed plugs and the misfires have still continued

you can try some injector cleaner (the kind you put in the gas tank), I don't know that seafoam will do you any good, and I personally wouldn't use it
Old 12-04-2011, 07:36 PM

So I finally researched and found out the firing order to our motor. #1 cylinder is closet to the radiator and it increases as you head towards the rear. (Checked all vacuum hoses and they were good and connected) Swapped coil #1 with #2 and the cel followed! Ah ha!! p0301 this time with the p1399 and no more p1410. I cleared the code and then I swap the coil (which was cylinder #1) that's misfiring to cylinder #3 but no cel still misfiring. With a little more driving, I hope to get a misfiring code for which ever cylinder the bad coil is currently plugged too. If so, mystery solved!

Quick Reply: CEL and bogging