S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

CEL and bogging

Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr._ap1
I didn't do a proper test on the compression numbers as the engine was still cold.. But they ranged from 225psi to 240psi. I'm going to re-check the valve lash, warm the car up then re-test the compression. I also got my nephew to send me his extra injectors cause he was havig the same issue years ago and his turned out to be a bent valves due to the younger nephew over revving.
225 to 240psi on a cold motor sounds pretty darn good! Do you have any reason to believe your valves might be bent? Have you hit a "money-shift" or two in your s2k before? I still have a feeling the issue is spark or fuel related... but I could be wrong.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 AM

I did do the nortorious 4th gear to 2nd gear shift but I caught it at 6700 RPM. That was the only time I remembered doing it and this was about 10,000 miles ago.... I am leaning towards a bad coil as the intial cel was a P0302 and P1399. I then changed the coil in cylinder 2 to cylinder 1 and the code followed... after that I started receiving CEL's for all cylinder misfiring and that is when I decided to check valve clearance and so on. I did however search on a forum from s2000.com with a member stating that he had 1 cel for misfiring and then recieved all clyinder misfiring. Some how some way the ECU threw out multiple misfiring for just one bad coil. He replaced that one bad coil and that fixed it right up.

I started taking everything apart and mixed up all 4 coils. Now I don't know which one is bad and I'm pretty sure the CEL will be all cylinder misfiring.

Does anyone know how to test each coil by itself with like with a Multimeter? I am in total distress!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM

This thread might be helpful, post #4 gives detail on the testing procedure for misfires.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:41 AM

*UPDATE* It has been solved!!! First, I would like to thank the NFRAP2 for the number of replies He has contributed and also the many other members.

I broke the investigation down by first assuming it was the ignition coil due to 1 CEL.. (P0302).

1. I swapped coils around and the CEL follwed.. Problem solved!? As I thought also.. But nope after driving around town for 50 miles or so the CEL started showing ALL CYLINDER MISFIRING! WTH!!!! (Also, if you are lucky like me you will get (Air Pump Malfuction) P0410 cel and many other cel's that wouldn't help you out any. By the way, my air pump was fine!)

2. I checked for vaccum leaks and pumped fresh chevon gas with seafoam and no luck clearing up the fuel.

3. I performed a valve adjustment and changed the VC Gasket, still no luck.

4. I performed a compression test and 225-240 psi across the board on a cold engine. Wrong way but compression was great! (Engine needs to be warmed up to operating temp before testing for compression)

5. I narrowed it down to dirty injectors, bad valves and ignition coil.

5. After weeks of researching intensely again I bumped into a thread of some s2k owner posting about checking the coils manually (instead of relying on the ECU to throw a CEL for you). First, I started the car up and started to unscrew the cylinder 1 bolt securing the ignition coil pack to the VC.. I took one off by itself and listened for the change in the motor. Yes, there was change and I could also hear clicking from the coil trying to connect to the spark plug. Went from cylinder 1 through cylinder 4 and found the coil on cylinder 4 did not effect the motor in change and didn't hear any sort of clicking connection.

Then and there I knew I had a bad coil. I ordered a 04-05 ap2 coil from Hondaparts247.com with the price of $63 shipped over night as they are located in TX. Also got my VC gasket from them for Under $30 shipped over night! Their prices are great if you order online but if you call the prices change and may vary. I suggest you order online! But be warned! Next day shipping does not mean you will receive your part next day! Trust me I know LOL! Although it is only $2-$3 dollars more than ground you will not receive it due to them having to receive it from their warehouse and many other things. All in all they do have the best price on shipping and parts.

I really hope this thread helps people who run into dead ends with the same issues!

Honda Dealer pricing $$$! I've read far to many thread about members taking their cars to dealers!

Thanks! S2KI.COM!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:48 PM

I'm glad the problem is fixed and it ended up being something cheap and simple! Now go enjoy your s2k