S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Charging circuit wiring issue

Old 02-14-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging circuit wiring issue

I've been having a intermittent problem with the charging system on my car since late December. I finally tracked down the cause of the issue to a loose wire on a connector. What I'm looking for is some guidance on how to go about fixing the wire.

(Note: I have a stock 2003 model)

*The problem is at this connector. I believe this is (16pin) Connector D.

*After some jiggling of wires I determined the problem was the outboard blk/yel wire noted in the picture. There a contact problem at the interface between wire and the plug. By lightly pushing or pulling on the wire contact is lost or made.

*(For reference) On the wiring diagram below I've indicated where, I think, the wire is located in the circuit.

*When everything is working (as in the blk/yel wire is making contact) the charging indicator light will come on when the car is turned to on (just like it should).

*The light goes off once you start the car (just like it should)

*Checking the voltage on the battery while the car is running is between about 14+ volts (when the alternator is charging)

* However, if I jiggle the blk/yel wire so that contact is lost. The alternator stops charging and the car immediately throws two CELs (P0135 and P0141). Both mean 02 sensor circuit problem. They are symptoms of the charging issue. After some testing I noticed the car only throws these CEL when the alternator stops charging. Also note that although the car throws CEL(s) at me the charging system indicator lamp does not come on to warn me.

*Note alternator has stopped charging.

*If I jiggle the wire again so that contact is reestablished. Guess what happens.
Alternator starts charging again.

*One more picture just for reference: When the blk/yel wire loses contact with the plug the charging indicator lamp will not come on when the car is turned to ON position.

*So anyways how do I go about repairing this wire at the plug? What I'm looking for is some guidance on how to go about fixing the wire to plug interface.

Can I just pull the wire out of the plug? Or is it permanently set? From studying the plug it looks as though the wire has a crimped on sleeve at the plug interface.

I'm hoping this is fixable so that I don't have to buy a new section of harness.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 02-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is some pretty investigative stuff. nice post.

this is probably not the right way to go about it, but why cant you just cut the wire, find out what wire it connects to on the opposite plug, and solder them together?.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 266 Posts

Replacement pins can be had, but you'll need a special crimper to make it all work. I've got the pin terminal repair kit from Honda, but at 300$ you probably don't want to invest to make a "factory" repair.

The next option is to cut the wire on both sides of the connector and re-attach the end with a quality pair of spade or bullet connectors.