S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

check engine light=slower car?

Old 06-06-2006, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light=slower car?

hi heres my problem i just got the clutch replaced on my car but the person who did it wasnt to familiar with imports so while in the process of fixin my clutch they gave it back to me to test drive they messed up some of sensors which made my car run like shit and i could tell they didnt know what they were doing because my car gave them a VERY hard time and when i got my car back the second time the check engine light is on the person who installed my clutch just said that i would have to go to honda and get it turned off and its no big deal and when i drove it i noticed a very significant decrease in power and its seems as if my vtec isnt kicking in at all and it wont rev past 7500rpm is this normal? so is my car just cutting off power because of the check engine light or did this guy seriously screw up my car
Old 06-06-2006, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the Check Engine Light blinking? If so, do not drive the car.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=378792
Old 06-06-2006, 01:20 AM

no its not blinking its at all its just on
Old 06-06-2006, 01:44 AM

Next step would be to check the DTC's then.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:03 AM

I forget the name of the sensor but it's on top of your throttle body and is probably what you're experiencing. MAF? Unplug it, then firmly tap on the top of it with a screw driver a few times...don't try to smash it, but give it a few hard taps. Then reset your battery and see how if that fixes it.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:24 AM

Bring the car to Autozone or Honda and get the check engine light code pulled, then target your problem. I would drive the car very easy while this light is on to avoid any damage.

If it was fine before you borught the car into the shop, it might just be a sensor as you stated.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:29 AM

I agree with F20 C don't reset the ECU. Also disconnecting the battery is not the preferred method for reseting the ECU.

I forget the name of the sensor but it's on top of your throttle body and is probably what you're experiencing. MAF? Unplug it, then firmly tap on the top of it with a screw driver a few times...don't try to smash it, but give it a few hard taps. Then reset your battery and see how if that fixes it.
(This should be good.)
Old 06-06-2006, 04:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Without knowing anything about the symptoms, advice about whacking the MAP sensor should be disregarded. (Unless you just like whacking stuff for no reason.) Maybe you didn't warm up the engine before giving 'er. Depending upon which sensor, the ECU may or may not go into limp mode. Last I recall, "limp mode" is quite a bit less than 7500 rpm. Nevertheless, instead of guessing, get the codes first. That will be your very next step.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzy24,Jun 6 2006, 05:03 AM
firstly, you're guessing won't help. he has a CEL and with what was done to his car, there's a LOT that could have gone wrong.

secondly, we don't have an MAF. we have a MAP.

thirdly, he should NOT do this, since it's not likely the problem, and guessing doesn't help.

fourth, he should NOT reset the ECU without getting the code first.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:05 AM

Did you recently fill up? Maybe the gas cap wasn't tightened all the way. That is the only time my CEL ever went on. I would check it, tighten it and went off shortly.

Quick Reply: check engine light=slower car?