Clutch Bleed - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Bleed

Old 05-14-2018, 05:57 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Clutch Bleed

Could too much air in the clutch line prevent the car from going into gear while the car is on? Need help. I took out my slave cylinder to clean the slave cylinder rod and put everything back together and bled the clutch... but i cant get the car in gear when its on now. (When the car is off it will go into every gear)
kjonesy203 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:20 AM
  #2  
 
DanielB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 390
Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Air in the clutch lines could cause those symptoms. Did you make any changes to the master cylinder and pedal assembly?

Simplest way to bleed the clutch: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...method-993927/
DanielB is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:22 AM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Air in the clutch lines could cause those symptoms. Did you make any changes to the master cylinder and pedal assembly?

Simplest way to bleed the clutch: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...method-993927/
No only took out the slave to polish the peice and put it back. Thanks for the link
kjonesy203 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:36 AM
  #4  
Bri
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 326
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Did any fluid leak when you removed the slave cylinder or took the rod out?

If there was no fluid leak when you took out the rod to polish it then I don't think you have air in the system. I think you just didn't seat the ball end of the rod to the cup area of the fork in the transmission. (Where the slave cylinder connects to the rubber boot of the transmission) If the rod isn't connected to the fork then you are not disengaging the clutch and this is probably what's preventing you from putting the car in gear.

I would remove the slave cylinder again and check whether the ball part of the rod is seated to the cup of the fork correctly.

Hope this helps.
Bri is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:05 PM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Did any fluid leak when you removed the slave cylinder or took the rod out?

If there was no fluid leak when you took out the rod to polish it then I don't think you have air in the system. I think you just didn't seat the ball end of the rod to the cup area of the fork in the transmission. (Where the slave cylinder connects to the rubber boot of the transmission) If the rod isn't connected to the fork then you are not disengaging the clutch and this is probably what's preventing you from putting the car in gear.

I would remove the slave cylinder again and check whether the ball part of the rod is seated to the cup of the fork correctly.

Hope this helps.
yeah it leaked because i took off the hose that conencts to the slave as well. When i did the clutch bleed the first time it drained a lot quicker than i thought and the master slave went completely dry. So theres 100% air in the line. But i did take out the slave rod and check if it was put back in correctly as well.
kjonesy203 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:10 PM
  #6  
Bri
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 326
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Ah. Well if the clutch fluid reservoir went dry, then you're right - there's air in the line.

I'm in the same boat right now (not sure if I have air in my clutch fluid line).

From all my research last night, Billman250 said that 80% of people who get air in the clutch line will never get it back to normal And to get the air out of the clutch line, you have to remove the slave cylinder again so that you can point the clutch fluid bleeder up. Then bleed the system like the DIY linked above.

Please don't forget to come back and update us when you fix the issue and let us know what you did to completely bleed the system.
Bri is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:20 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Ah. Well if the clutch fluid reservoir went dry, then you're right - there's air in the line.

I'm in the same boat right now (not sure if I have air in my clutch fluid line).

From all my research last night, Billman250 said that 80% of people who get air in the clutch line will never get it back to normal And to get the air out of the clutch line, you have to remove the slave cylinder again so that you can point the clutch fluid bleeder up. Then bleed the system like the DIY linked above.

Please don't forget to come back and update us when you fix the issue and let us know what you did to completely bleed the system.
Headed home to hopefully fix it now. I will have an update later. Thanks for the suggestions!
kjonesy203 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 06:25 PM
  #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So i bled the clutch a few times and am able to get the car in gear but it is not easy. Clutch catch point is basically at the ground. Car will only shift through gears if i start the car while in gear. My grandfather thinks the slave rod is no good and that i need a new one. Gunna just replace the whole slave cylinder and see how that goes
kjonesy203 is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 06:50 PM
  #9  
Bri
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 326
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kjonesy203 View Post
So i bled the clutch a few times and am able to get the car in gear but it is not easy. Clutch catch point is basically at the ground. Car will only shift through gears if i start the car while in gear. My grandfather thinks the slave rod is no good and that i need a new one. Gunna just replace the whole slave cylinder and see how that goes
Before you do that, try bleeding the clutch fluid with the slave cylinder removed and the bleeder pointing up. Meaning the bleeder valve is at the highest point of the slave cylinder.
Bri is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 PM
  #10  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bri View Post


Before you do that, try bleeding the clutch fluid with the slave cylinder removed and the bleeder pointing up. Meaning the bleeder valve is at the highest point of the slave cylinder.
ok i will give that a try tommorow.
kjonesy203 is offline  

Quick Reply: Clutch Bleed


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands