S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch Bleed

Old 05-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Bri

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kjonesy203

ok i will give that a try tommorow.
How much fluid did you use to bleed the system tonight?

Attach a plastic tube while you’re bleeding so that you’ll see the air bubbles coming out.

Please let us know how it goes
Old 05-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Bri

Scrap the method posted above.

Do this: (CREDIT GOES TO OUR MASTER MECHANIC BILLMAN250)
1. Remove clutch fluid reservoir cap. If it's full, remove some fluid so it won't overflow. Have an assistant near the engine bay looking at the reservoir.
2. Remove clutch slave cylinder (remove the 2 12 mm bolts holding it). ***Don't disassemble anything.
3. Point bleeder straight up
4. Push rod into slave cylinder slowly. Have your assistant check the clutch fluid reservoir for air bubbles as you're pushing the rod in. Make sure the fluid doesn't overflow.
5. Release the rod to its full extension.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 8 times or more. Until your assistant doesn't see any air bubbles coming out of the clutch fluid reservoir anymore.

DONE. Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bri
Scrap the method posted above.

Do this: (CREDIT GOES TO OUR MASTER MECHANIC BILLMAN250)
1. Remove clutch fluid reservoir cap. If it's full, remove some fluid so it won't overflow. Have an assistant near the engine bay looking at the reservoir.
2. Remove clutch slave cylinder (remove the 2 12 mm bolts holding it). ***Don't disassemble anything.
3. Point bleeder straight up
4. Push rod into slave cylinder slowly. Have your assistant check the clutch fluid reservoir for air bubbles as you're pushing the rod in. Make sure the fluid doesn't overflow.
5. Release the rod to its full extension.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 8 times or more. Until your assistant doesn't see any air bubbles coming out of the clutch fluid reservoir anymore.

DONE. Let us know how it goes.
yeah this is exactly what we did yesterday about 3 times, still no luck. The car wil lgo into gear now as long as i start the car in gear tho. But if i start the car in neutral it will go into gear sometimes and sometimes it wont but you are borerline forcing it to go it.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Bri

Dang so sorry to hear that. No bubbles came out the reservoir when you were pushing the piston in?

Then as a last resort, I'd try what I suggested before (quoted below)

Originally Posted by Bri

Before you do that, try bleeding the clutch fluid with the slave cylinder removed and the bleeder pointing up. Meaning the bleeder valve is at the highest point of the slave cylinder.

How much fluid did you use to bleed the system tonight?

Attach a plastic tube while you’re bleeding so that you’ll see the air bubbles coming out.

Please let us know how it goes
Maybe try this too. This is what the service manual says on how to bleed the clutch:

- Attach a hose to bleeder screw and suspend hose in a container of brake fluid.
- Make sure there's adequate supply of fluid at the clutch master cylinder, then slowly pump the clutch pedal until no more bubbles appear at the bleeder hose
- Refill clutch master cylinder with fluid when done.

*** I assume you always top off CMC as you pump clutch pedal?
Old 05-15-2018, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bri
Dang so sorry to hear that. No bubbles came out the reservoir when you were pushing the piston in?

Then as a last resort, I'd try what I suggested before (quoted below)

Maybe try this too. This is what the service manual says on how to bleed the clutch:

- Attach a hose to bleeder screw and suspend hose in a container of brake fluid.
- Make sure there's adequate supply of fluid at the clutch master cylinder, then slowly pump the clutch pedal until no more bubbles appear at the bleeder hose
- Refill clutch master cylinder with fluid when done.

*** I assume you always top off CMC as you pump clutch pedal?
yeah kept it topped off. Im gunna give another try today with the cylinder off
Old 05-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Bri

So any luck?
Old 05-17-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bri
So any luck?
no luck. Still the same issue going in gear. I have a friend at honda so im gunna get a new slave and replace it. Hopefully that will be the last of my issues
Old 05-18-2018, 12:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you 100% sure that the friction point adjusted corrected? Sorry if its a stupid question but that could be the problem.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:17 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Any blue color brake/clutch fluid available? Would like a contrasting color to what's in the system now to determine when gravity is bringing the fresh fluid down to the cylinder(s). I suspect, though, that the oil fluid will be dark and dirty like it looks in the reservoirs.

Amount of fluid needed? Clutch? Brakes?

-- Chuck
Old 05-18-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

ATE blue was banned for the silly reason that automotive fluid colors should be consistent for identification purposes or something.

So you can no longer get blue. But regular amber ATE is still a great fluid. You can still usually see a color transition from old, darker, dirty fluid to more clear stuff. Its just much harder to detect.

Quick Reply: Clutch Bleed