S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch pedal depressing at high rpm in first gear

Old 11-10-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal depressing at high rpm in first gear

I looked around the threads but didnt see anything that helped so ill post here...
When at full throttle and high rpms (7-8500) in first gear, my clutch pedal draws in toward the floor board. When i go to press for shift i dont feel pressure until its almost at the floor and makes it a diffiult to get into 2nd gear. It only does this from first to second gear and at very high rpms. any suggestions?? The clutch was replaced w oem a few months ago and this hasnt been a problem until the last few weeks.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:55 PM

any ideas?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I as well have this issue it is in ANY gear, check all gears I have this same problem, i sometimes grind 2nd b/c of this because I don't have to throw the pedal in much when when it drops I have to and if I forget grind..

It is really Annoying. Have you done any fluid changes in the clutch system? Mine never use to do this until I installed a new clutch

Subscribed!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:15 AM

No fluid changes since new OEM clutch was installed a few months ago. This wasnt a problem until just a few weeks ago so something has changed and i cant figure out whats causing it. Anyone with clutch experience/expertise care to help us figure this out?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 AM

Hum, I still want to know the cause, don't want to start replacing parts yet.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:46 AM

I had this happen as well. It most likely happens with each gear change. No real reason it would impact one particular gear change.

With low RPMs the shifting was fine but higher RPMs my clutch pedal would have almost no pressure. Turns out the fork for the throw out bearing became disconnected from its pivot point and was rubbing on the trans case within the slave cylinder window. Without knowing this was the cause of my shifting woes I punched it hard one day and the fork locked the pressure plate to the disc and had to have her towed home for a new clutch and a new fork.

Lift the car and pull the slave cylinder and rubber boot that covers the window and see if the release fork is pivoting/moving properly.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

^Good thought. Try the easiest thing first though -- check fluid, and add/bleed as necessary.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Jspd,Nov 11 2010, 09:46 AM
I had this happen as well. It most likely happens with each gear change. No real reason it would impact one particular gear change.

With low RPMs the shifting was fine but higher RPMs my clutch pedal would have almost no pressure. Turns out the fork for the throw out bearing became disconnected from its pivot point and was rubbing on the trans case within the slave cylinder window. Without knowing this was the cause of my shifting woes I punched it hard one day and the fork locked the pressure plate to the disc and had to have her towed home for a new clutch and a new fork.

Lift the car and pull the slave cylinder and rubber boot that covers the window and see if the release fork is pivoting/moving properly.
I actually checked this. I also remember ready about what happened. I drove the car on the tail of the dragon for 3 days, so it got beat on too, but this happen just before I went. I replaced my clutch, bled the lines, which I will check soon again. I never get on the car during the week though, so its always fine.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

hshiznit Posted on Nov 11 2010, 02:43 AM
When i go to press for shift i dont feel pressure until its almost at the floor and makes it a diffiult to get into 2nd gear.
IMO this is because of an air bubble in the clutch hydraulics system.
Almost without a doubt.

But..
Combined with this:
When at full throttle and high rpms (7-8500) in first gear
I donno what rpm has to do with it.
It should have no influence.

twohoos Posted on Nov 11 2010, 09:25 PM
Try the easiest thing first though -- check fluid, and add/bleed as necessary.

And check the master & slave for leaks.
Fresh fluid will stop the leaks, that's been reported by many.

Jspd Posted on Nov 11 2010, 06:46 PM
Turns out the fork for the throw out bearing became disconnected from its pivot point and was rubbing on the trans case within the slave cylinder window.
I guess a bad throwout / unlubed fork finger can cause this.
When a throwout goes bad, you get load where its not supposed to be.
As soon as a bad throwout starts pulling the spinning PP back, you get a load on the stationairy part of the throwout, the groove where the fork fingers are in = "torque" on the fork and its pivot point.
Even more if those fingers have no lube on them.