S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch pedal stop mod Anyone done it?

Old 07-03-2022, 11:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch pedal stop mod Anyone done it?

So new S2K owner here. Bought a s2k. 2nd owner put racing clutch in it. Not sure what brand. Clutch is very nice. Short throw. Just will take a little getting used to.

The issue is there is a massive amount of extra travel that is no longer needed. (except to start the car and activate the switch to allow car to start).

On my lotus, when I went to race clutch, I added an adjustable clutch stop which works great! On the S2k, there is a perfect hole there plugged with a trim plug. Upon removing it, I took a tap and tapped it for a bolt which works perfectly. Going to fine tune bolt length and make appropriate stopper, maybe out of some round plastic. Needs to be about 1.5" dia to really make sure pedal has enough support.

First off, I am guessing I cant be the first to do this. Is there enough adjustment in the starter lockout switch? (It looks like it is above the one for the cruise control). Or do people just jump out the starter lockout? I would not mind if it did not have the starter lockout.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 07-03-2022, 08:39 PM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

A lot of us bypass clutch interlock, to be kind to the crank thrust washer bearing. Dry starts with clutch pressed are especially stressful.

If this car has a weak point, its this bearing.

Its really only an issue woth aftermarket pressure plates, which you have. Ao highly recommend you add a bypass.

You can just jump the wires on the bypass connector. Then car will start without clutch. But this could be a safety/liability issue, especially if someone else has to drive car (tire tech, etc).

Some add a switch instead of a simple bypass (like a momentary switch). So clutch can still work to start car, or you can hold bypass button down while starting instead. Car won't start if you don't do clutch or bypass switch.

Another way is off the brake pedal. Wire brake switch to also be clutch bypass. So car will start with clutch pressed, or brake pressed. This has safety built in.

Wiring this is a little more complicated, as relay required. I did a diy with pics. Let me know if want a link to it.
The following users liked this post:
itsagoodday (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
A lot of us bypass clutch interlock, to be kind to the crank thrust washer bearing. Dry starts with clutch pressed are especially stressful.

If this car has a weak point, its this bearing.

Its really only an issue woth aftermarket pressure plates, which you have. Ao highly recommend you add a bypass.

You can just jump the wires on the bypass connector. Then car will start without clutch. But this could be a safety/liability issue, especially if someone else has to drive car (tire tech, etc).

Some add a switch instead of a simple bypass (like a momentary switch). So clutch can still work to start car, or you can hold bypass button down while starting instead. Car won't start if you don't do clutch or bypass switch.

Another way is off the brake pedal. Wire brake switch to also be clutch bypass. So car will start with clutch pressed, or brake pressed. This has safety built in.

Wiring this is a little more complicated, as relay required. I did a diy with pics. Let me know if want a link to it.

Thanks for the response. I am not worried too about bypassing all-together. The car my son learned to drive stick on does not have a starter cut out. So he has no 'bad habits' to break.

Unfortunately, looks like we will be doing a trans swap. Was hoping fluid change would eliminate the 3rd gear grind, but after that did not work, I tried the 'burnishing' and there is nothing stopping the trans from trying to go into 3rd gear meaning the synchro is toast.

So looking at my options right now. Was thinking of rebuild myself, but might just get it done by a buddy so I can concentrate on other projects and then just do the swap.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-05-2022, 05:22 AM

Received 1,277 Likes on 963 Posts

Is excess freeplay at the top of the travel yout issue?

Adjust the clutch so that there's only 6mm of freeplay.

Or are you asking whether its fine to short-stop the pedal because the bottom half of pedal travel is useless?

No, I wouldn't recommend doing that.

As a separate thing, I would recommend doing the clutch switch bypass in some intelligent way. Also, spend as little time as possible with the pedal pushed. Don't hold it down at lights or unnecessarily when idling.

Unfortunately (fortunately?), that clutch probably won't last long. When it goes, the genuine Honda clutch is what you'll want....unless you actually need an aftermarket clutch.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by B serious

Or are you asking whether its fine to short-stop the pedal because the bottom half of pedal travel is useless?

No, I wouldn't recommend doing that.

That is exactly what I am talking about doing. Eliminating the extra travel. It is a mod I have done on my elise after we put a high performance clutch in it. It was transformative for the car and makes it MUCH easier to drive since the kiss point is much more predictable and you are eliminating 3/4 of the useless pedal travel.

I dont mind just disabling the starter cut out. Our lotus has none. Only ones shipped to Canada had them. And since this car is my sons, he has learned to drive on stick on the lotus so he has no 'bad habits' to break.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:35 AM

Pick of pedal stop on lotus. We removed small bumper and put a bolt w/ backer nut that we would turn out to give us desired range of travel. Entire throw is now about 4". Very precise.

Clutch pedal stop mod  Anyone done it?-fekvxhg.jpg
Old 07-05-2022, 02:04 PM

Received 364 Likes on 338 Posts

Think if its for your Son and your looking out for issues regularly, should be ok,
Dad has a mention in the story of the Elise book
The following users liked this post:
itsagoodday (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
Think if its for your Son and your looking out for issues regularly, should be ok,
Dad has a mention in the story of the Elise book

Yea, all his time driving stick is on track in our elise since he does not even have a permit yet!

The elise is modded and he will be fine with race clutch. The s2k will be his street car though and we dont want to go crazy with mods etc. Just the opportunity to buy the car came up local and it seemed like it was mean to be. He was not even expecting it, but the S2K seems like the perfect car for him. He is over the top happy about it, yet the power is still reasonable to where I am not turning him loose on the streets with something that will not be safe and might get out of hand. Although I do trust him, I still know what it is like to be tempted with lots of power.

This is our elise with him driving on track. He and I did the supercahrger over the winter and a bunch of evolving mods which are essentially turning this into a full blown track car that I can keep a tag on. Just under 1900lbs and putting out about 370hp. Even stereo is gone, but kept a/c since we live in the south and want to keep it useable for summer street driving. More power mods coming this winter with new motor build and going up to about 430.
Want to get his car sorted and then might see about brining it out for a track day just so he can do a few runs in it and find the limits in the corners.

Name:  eEIRIEz.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  211.2 KB

Name:  kHSeGnA.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  205.1 KB

Clutch pedal stop mod  Anyone done it?-e32xodd.jpg