S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Comptech = Nightmare!

Old 06-17-2002, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to use a dremmel. But it seems that I would have to make a cut in the box itself. It has to be at least a quarter inch too high.

I will call comptech on Monday. I also want to see if driving the car would somehow allow the airbox to settle.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

driving the car will not make the CAI box settle at all.

personally, I feel that the box should be removed and reinstalled. JUST the box! After discussing this with infinitebass last night, our thoughts would be that something underneath, a wire perhaps, is preventing the box to be all the way flush. Otherwise, removing and resettling the box in the car should help clear the hood.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:12 AM

I helped infinitebass and Schatten with his CAI install, and I can assure you that Schatten is right about this. Underneath the airbox is the steel chassis cross member, and there is a large AC hose running alongside that cross member. There are a few vaccuum hoses and wire bundles for electronics that run across the steel beam when the car is stock. We relocated most of those wires/vacuum hoses to be out of the way of the comptech CAI airbox, because it is significantly larger than the stock one. If they're still sitting underneath the box, it will not sit properly. (don't try to move the larger AC hose.. it would be too difficult and is not necessary)

Note that the Comptech airbox bolts to the car in two locations. If you take the CF cover off of the airbox and remove the air filter, you should see one bolt on the left side of the box and one at the bottom. Make sure they're both there and very tight. If either one of those bolts is missing, the box will NOT sit low enough. Admittedly, the clearances on the airbox are very small, but I can assure you that it will fit if installed properly.

To install this CAI (or fix a bad install), it only takes a couple of screwdrivers, a socket set, and a little bit of patience. Anyone with these tools and Comptech's instruction sheet could install the CAI. I'd say you should get rid of your mechanics and get your hands dirty for a few minutes, and you'll have the box seated properly and be driving around with a hood in no time. Please try that before you call Comptech and try to insinuate that their product is faulty -- you don't want to walk away from this with your foot in your mouth..

Matt
Old 06-17-2002, 10:06 AM

I agree with everything that you are saying. And I have been part of both installs. I have not tried to move any wires other than what is called for in the instructions. I can assure you that both bolts are as tight as possible. The bolt on the left side is holding the airbox against the side of the car and the rear bolt and washer are making a slight depression in the plastic. I will call comptech today and try to resolve the problem.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:05 PM

my Comptech CAI sits well with my hood... but, after I got my J's hood, it rubs the CF cover of my CT CAI more... however, some padding will solve the problem, as what Randy said, take out the air box, and reinstall it...!! you should have no problem... if not, call Comptech...