S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

converting OEM exhaust to 3 piece by cutting and welding in flanges?

Old 07-04-2018, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting OEM exhaust to 3 piece by cutting and welding in flanges?

My car is currently registered in an emission exempt county in Arizona and I'm running a J's Racing 70RS dual with an Invidia test pipe and I absolutely love it...

but I am moving out of state (to Oregon) and need to pass emissions when I get there. I have my OEM exhaust and Cat in storage

I want to cut my OEM exhaust and weld in cheap flanges or cheap Vbands so that I can move it up there easier and box it up and stuff it way up in the top of a closet until the next emissions test.

Has anyone done this?

I haven't measured to see what size V bands or flanges I will need. Does anyone know the pipe sizing of the individual pipes after the 'Y'

Should I (would you) trust my shitty local small town welding guy to weld stainless Vbands onto the stock pipes?

THX GUYS
Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Why replace the entire exhaust? The OEM cat should just replace the test pipe. Five (5) bolts. Doing this frequently may make the V-band idea easier but there are already flanges on the both ends of the cat. I'd personally prefer to leave the header to cat flange with the spring bolts alone and maybe V-band the back of the cat and front of the exhaust. As you no doubt remember the bolts on the cat were a PITA to remove but doing this frequently and some anti-seize will make the job very easy.

An easier solution for me to pass emissions testing in Ohio was a Berk high blow cat. Never had to put the OE cat back (and it went to a good home at Tesla). Ohio testing just plugs into the OBD2 port and can be done at self service locations. Obviously did not include a visual for OE equipment. Virginia annual "safety" testing, where I am now, includes a visual on a lift but the Berk cat didn't even get a comment even though it's not shielded any more. I'd welded tabs on it and fitted the OE heatshields but they cracked off when a piece of concrete went under the can and struck the shield (only damage) causing it to rattle. I'm in a non-emissions check county in VA so can't confirm the car is still good in that respect but I do have a cat.

-- Chuck
Old 07-05-2018, 06:06 AM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

Some J's exhausts have an integrated test pipe.

The exhaust attaches directly to the header flange.

OP...sure, chop that motha right up. Who cares if it looks badly or works questionably as long as it passes.

What type of test do they do in Oregon? Is it just a plug-in test? If it is...why not just buy an O2 spacer to turn off the CEL? This works for IL emissions.