S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

differential blown~!

Old 01-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential blown~!

So i took the S2000 out today heading east to my girlfriends house. The drive was about an hour long. 3/4th of the way there my car started making clicking noises and was noisier than usual. i stopped at the local gas station to fill up and to see where the noise was coming from. Being so close to her house i drove there and to meet up with a friend and inspect the car.

long story short. we took the car to big-0-tires to get a free inspection. figured it woudlnt hurt since the noise sounded like it was coming from the wheels or some sort of axel. Come to find out the differential was blown and many of the tooth have broken and grinded off!!'

now im in need of a new rear differential and worried that the fix will be way higher than my budget.

I found this on ebay? not sure if i should trust it -- anyone with this experience.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Honda-...sQ5fAccessories

note: I just bought the car about 2 weeks ago. Never abused the car- but not sure if the previous owner has. The car was kept very clean and started and drove nicely! I"m not sure if this is a common issue but it's stess i do not need.

help or suggestions much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yours is an AP1, the flange will be different. You have to know what you are doing if you want to swap the driveshaft flange.

I would contact puddydad here and have him rebuild it for you.

J
Old 01-08-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have an extra ap1 diff, 66k miles, no launches, changed fluid every 3k miles

bought it when i thought mine blew, PM me if interested
Old 01-08-2011, 06:00 PM

after you bought the car, have you ever "launched" the car from a dig? if you dont launch properly, this differential is known to grenade itself...
Old 01-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Jan 8 2011, 07:00 PM
after you bought the car, have you ever "launched" the car from a dig? if you dont launch properly, this differential is known to grenade itself...
and how do you launch properly?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fit a Miata NB model crownwheel and pinion into your housing. I've found they are stronger than the Honda equivalent gears and bolt straight in.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac,Jan 8 2011, 05:11 PM
and how do you launch properly?
You either baby the launch by feathering the clutch (bad for clutch) or you make sure the wheels break traction consistently (7K+ launch, depending on tires, clutch, weather). Its been talked about a lot before on these forums. with a 7K launch, its still not 100% that it'll not blow, but its better than a wheel hoppy launch
Old 01-08-2011, 11:35 PM

no havn't pushed the car hard at all. only had it for 2 weeks and i was gone for the holiday last week so. only have been driving the car for a short time.

rebuilding it, could some one educate me here? im sorry this is all new to me.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

s2kpuddydad can rebuild a differential. well you can buy one of his diff and then send yours in and get about 200 back. he can also build custom diffs, depending on your setup. from lightly modded n/a to full blown out FI. he can build crazy diff's. he built my stage 1.5+ 4.44 diff.

rebuilding is simple s2kpuddydad takes out the broken pieces and puts in new pieces. simple for him, not so much for your average joe.

here are your choices:
1. buy a new/used diff 1500/500-650ish
2. rebuild your diff 750
3. build a bad ass diff that wont blow up. 1000+
4. q300 diff swap. $$$$$$$$$$

those are your BASIC options!.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:39 AM

Puddy had pm'd me.

I know have a handful off routes to choose from.

I am also wondering, it seems like my differential ring and pinion are broken. From the sound of it - the guys over at big o- said the the half my teeth are grinded off or broken, doesn't this mean i can take the differential unit out. and replace the ring and pinion? is this an option. cause if this is the case i can save my self alot of money for now until i can afford to do a full upgrade?

or should I invest the money into having mine rebuilt? essentially taking my differential unit apart and replacing it with something like this :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-S2000...sQ5fAccessories

is rebuilding it no?

Quick Reply: differential blown~!