S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dirty fuel injector Symptoms

Old 10-24-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty fuel injector Symptoms

Hey guys this is my first time posting with an issue on my 01 S2k ( 38,5XX k)

Wow so this sucks....

I recently parked my car outside last night and the temp dipped below 38 degrees Upon starting this morning I noticed a little hesitation when applying power in gear similar to a bucking, certainly not the smooth throttle response the car usually gives me. Upon stopping for a traffic light I noticed the idle drop to 300-400 ish rpm and try to stall out. Additionally the check engine light blinked on then off..

Important to know

- when I was checking the air cleaner element yesterday, I started the engine w/o the intake cover on and stared backing out of the garage, within a minute it recognized it was off ( before leaving the driveway) and reinstalled it. I drove 10 miles to see a friend, came back and the car sat until the morning. ;(

Checks I performed

-I check the plugs and cleaned them. Nothing out of the ordinary for 38k ( slightly black- but overall look pretty normal since they are originals.
-Did the MAP tap.

Is This A Map Malfunction or Something Else?

If anyone has any feedback on this I would greatly appreciate it.

[SIZE=7]
Old 10-24-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this all sounds like a typical map sensor problems, but the blinking CEL makes me a little concerned. since it's off i assume you can't get that code read?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:48 AM

Thanks, TELOSHEDGE

The CEL flashed right as the engine was trying to stall on me. I checked the codes and it gave me a normal read ( Yeah Right )

I talked to my mechanic friend about it and he thought it could be

1. a dirty butterfly ( which I'm in the process of cleaning)

2. The MAP sensor

3. Spark jumping off one plug wire to something else or the plug itself or a bad coil.
( Could it be a coil????)
Old 10-24-2008, 11:48 AM

the CEL flash could have just been a misfire, which would make sense in cold weather when the car does its 'i'm almost gonna stall!' thing.

cleaning your throttle body plate could help. clean the IAC valve while you're at it. do a search - there is a DIY somewhere on here about it.

i think your coils are fine. if one of your coils was bad you'd have a very rough idle and you'd be missing some power (about 25% )

clean all your stuff up and get new plugs if you feel compelled to. it can't hurt anything!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 PM

Probably just the ECU doing the re-learn procedure to adjust for the colder weather. When the RPMs try to dip down as if to stall, do _not_ give it gas to try to get them up. Let it do it on its own. It'll be ok in 10 miles.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:00 AM

Whooohoo

After cleaning the MAP, Throttle plate, IAC, and gapping the plugs, the missing was still existent. My last thought was that this issue could be something really really simple... So I threw a bottle of Lucal oil Injector cleaner in the tank and ran her around for about 20 miles very cautiously in order to keep the missing to a minimum. After 15 miles of driving I noticed the problem starting to dissipate, by the time I got home it was non existent. What a relief it appears I had a dirty injector! ! ! ! ! !

Thanks for all the great information and help