S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dreadful hood rattle - not the common culprits

Old 04-13-2015, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dreadful hood rattle - not the common culprits

I'm done with this hood rattle. I'm about to go bananas. My AP1 never had this problem. My AP2 has done it since I've bought it almost 2 years ago.
I have tried multiple multiple times to adjust the hood latch and the bump stops in various configurations to get it to quiet down - to NO success.

I've read through the found a rattle thread but I can't find anything that is similar to my problem. If I press my hand on the hood I don't think it changes the rattle much so maybe it is coming from under the hood somewhere, in the engine bay? I should probably try starting the car this evening on my way home from work with the hood up to see if I still hear it and will update y'all.

Other notes:
- The rattle is not present when the car is moving or at least I can't hear it
- It's worst when I start up the car cold, it hums a lot louder as it's warming up and then it will quiet down after running for about 1-2 minutes of idling
- Even when it's warm, it will still come back at idle for several seconds (at stoplights)
- Doesn't matter if A/C is on or off, or heat is on or off
- I recently (6 months ago or so) installed an FIPK, but it did it before then anyways, with the stock air box
- I've looked around thoroughly for anything that could be partially wedged somewhere in the engine bay but can't find anything
- I've checked the belt tensioner and I don't see any movement when idling and the markings on the tensioner show that it should be fine

Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 1,452 Likes on 974 Posts

Sheet metal heat shields around header secure?

http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com...eat_shield.jpg

http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com...eat_shield.jpg
Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 AM

Yes I forgot to mention that. I have already checked those as well.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

License plate/bracket? I had something similar on my truck and it turned out to be the license plate rattling.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 AM

Are you sure you isolated the noise to that area? I had a crazy rattle and came to find out it was my secondary O2 sensor had come loose from my TP (or cat if you are unmodified).
Old 04-13-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Iniamyen
License plate/bracket? I had something similar on my truck and it turned out to be the license plate rattling.
I'm 99% sure it's coming from the front but I will check that before I head home today too, just in case.

Originally Posted by Reckon
Are you sure you isolated the noise to that area? I had a crazy rattle and came to find out it was my secondary O2 sensor had come loose from my TP (or cat if you are unmodified).
I've already tried tapping the cat with a rubber hammer to see if that was it, but it was not. Cat o2 sensor is definitely not loose, I checked that as well.

I also even wedged a few shop towels between the heat shield and the battery side of the heat shield to "dampen" it if it was still the shield that was vibrating but that wasn't it either.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
I'm 99% sure it's coming from the front but I will check that before I head home today too, just in case.
I am talking about the front license plate mount - if you're running without a front plate, then nevermind.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i found a rattle with the hood support rod...and the related plastic parts. one for the hood support and one for the "tie down" that it fits into. i have this rattle whenever the idle gets lower or i let out the clutch without enough gas...its an engine vibration related issue. I got new parts, these two plastic things and it rattles less. so you can remove the support to see it that is the rattle you have.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by hirev
i found a rattle with the hood support rod...and the related plastic parts. one for the hood support and one for the "tie down" that it fits into. i have this rattle whenever the idle gets lower or i let out the clutch without enough gas...its an engine vibration related issue. I got new parts, these two plastic things and it rattles less. so you can remove the support to see it that is the rattle you have.
Ok cool, I will try these ones tomorrow morning on cold start or maybe I can get away with removing it in the parking lot on my way out of here lol. Mine definitely seems like an engine vibration issue (btw, motor mounts are also good, checked those too), like the engine running cold is off balance just slightly enough to vibrate something in the bay. The when everything warms up (stretches?) it's fine.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:01 AM

On my way out of work yesterday I popped the hood to see if that's where the noise was coming from (and the support rod) but the noise was still there. Albeit it was a little quieter however the car was also partially warm (I had driven it at lunch time) and it got to 3 bars (AP2 though) just idling in about 60 seconds. If the car was bone cold it would take a solid 5-10 minutes or more to get up to true operating temp.

I was going to try it again this morning on my way to work but it was raining so I took the truck

One thing I noticed is that as is was making the noise i pressed my hand on the exhaust header shield (not the vertical heat shield), the one that covers the exhaust header and I swear the noise dropped off right as I put my hand on it, but that was probably around the time the noise was going to go away anyways.

By the way. The noise isn't so much a rattle as it is a vibrating drone. It's more plastic-sounding than metallic.