S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Drivetrain noise, could be damaged trans or diff. Need help.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain noise, could be damaged trans or diff. Need help.

I know there are a lot of threads like these, I've been reading them for weeks but I'm still not sure what to do next and I'm hoping someone here does.

My 2001 S is getting high in miles, around 137k now. It has been my daily driver since 2007 so I never race it, launch it, drift, etc. A few months ago I started hearing a faint "woosh woosh woosh" sound when rolling into my driveway or rolling to a stop. I thought it might be a wheel bearing since I had one go out before. The bearings seemed okay though, no high heat or wheel wobbling. I left it alone to see if it got louder but after a couple months of driving the noise was the same. Just recently I've also been noticing an increased howl noise when on the interstate so I suspected the diff. I jacked the rear up and spun each wheel individually and heard a slight wooshing sound when the wheel was decelerating (this worked on both sides) so I eliminated the wheel bearing idea and started looking into the diff and trans.

I tried putting fresh Mobil 1 75w90 into the diff last week and the woosh sounds seemed to get louder. The interstate howl continued to get louder, though I'm not sure if the diff fluid change had anything to do with it. I read on the forum to try some heavier fluid in dying diffs so I then put in some Amsoil severe gear 75w140 this weekend. The woosh sounds seemed to get quieter but the howl now seems louder and noticeable at slower speeds, not just interstate anymore.

Next I checked the transmission and it looked a little oily. I found that the fill bolt was loose enough to remove by hand and only about a quart drained out of it. I was hoping no major damage was done since the car was shifting just fine. I filled the trans up with Honda MTF and now the noises are louder than ever. Here's an audio sample shifting up through the gears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sfzuten9jc

It seems to make two different types of noises, one when coasting at slow speeds (the woosh sound NOT audible in the recording) and one when accelerating, even if only slightly (the howl). In the video you can hear the howl increase in volume when going through the gears and you can hear it cut in and out when I apply a little throttle and let off several times at around 45-50mph. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:55 PM

I'm at 93k on my 01, and have been getting that howl as well.

It sounds very faint unless driving next to a curb or wall where the sound bounces back. It sounds almost electronic, or some type of gear whine. It seems to get louder with speed and is audible independent of whether the car is in gear or not.

The noise in your clip that sounded almost like an intake on full acceleration, I do not have. I could hear the very faint whining, in the background. Is that the "howl" you were referring to?

I recently changed my tranny fluid with honda mtf and mobil 1 75w-90 (i believe) in the diff maybe...5-6 months ago. This sound came up for me a couple weeks back. I plan to get under the car and snoop around this weekend. I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with my rear diff since I've never launched this car, even though it sees 9k every now and then.

My car also has a new wheel bearing, hub and axle on the passenger rear side as well.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 AM

The noise I am referring to is the dominant noise in the recording. I guess you could say it sounds like an intake in the clip but in real life it doesn't sound like that at all. My phone just didn't capture the noise accurately. It was very loud this morning probably due to it being cooler out. I'm now concerned that I can't drive the car out of town.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM

I have a similar noise, getting it checked out soon, hopefully by the end of the week. I had a few friends listed to mine and some say it may be the drive shaft going.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:18 PM

I'm not sure if this is recommended to do, but I would jack the car up on 4 jack stands and drive it really slowly. See if the noise is coming from your differential.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM

I actually tried that but it was before the noise got really loud. I'm not sure if I would hear anything since it only seems to make noise now when under load. I gotta get the 75w140 out of the diff because I'm pretty sure it got super loud after I put that in. Gonna try LE 1605 fluid next.