S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dropping fuel tank - what to do while in there

Old 05-16-2022, 10:01 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Dropping fuel tank - what to do while in there

I need to drop the fuel tank to replace the ORVR valve that's apparently stuck open. (This is on a 2006 AP2.) Are there any fuel filters or anything else it makes sense to change while in there? Searching parts I see a couple things:

16010-SDG-H00 Filter Set, Fuel
17516-SDC-E00 Filter, Fuel Pump

Also there's apparently a screen (the "sock") for the fuel pump, which I assume must be different from the filter above, as it doesn't look anything like that. Unless that's an AP1/AP2 difference?

So yeah, replace either of those, or would it be a waste? Anything else? Maybe should replace the charcoal canister too given it's been saturated with fuel due to the faulty valve? (Although I realize it's accessible without dropping the tank.) Or OK to just dry it out? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:50 AM

Received 618 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
I need to drop the fuel tank to replace the ORVR valve that's apparently stuck open. (This is on a 2006 AP2.) Are there any fuel filters or anything else it makes sense to change while in there? Searching parts I see a couple things:

16010-SDG-H00 Filter Set, Fuel
17516-SDC-E00 Filter, Fuel Pump

Also there's apparently a screen (the "sock") for the fuel pump, which I assume must be different from the filter above, as it doesn't look anything like that. Unless that's an AP1/AP2 difference?

So yeah, replace either of those, or would it be a waste? Anything else? Maybe should replace the charcoal canister too given it's been saturated with fuel due to the faulty valve? (Although I realize it's accessible without dropping the tank.) Or OK to just dry it out? Thanks.
The first part number is the entire fuel pump carrier, which has filter media built-in
The second part number is the fuel pump sock you're referring to; there's no other filters in the OEM system aside from those.

Charcoal canister needs to be replaced once the charcoal becomes compromised & saturated. You can't really "dry them out". They have a service life, even when under ideal operating conditions. Just ensure that all of the hoses are free from any kind of blockages and what not.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:05 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
The first part number is the entire fuel pump carrier, which has filter media built-in
The second part number is the fuel pump sock you're referring to; there's no other filters in the OEM system aside from those.

Charcoal canister needs to be replaced once the charcoal becomes compromised & saturated. You can't really "dry them out". They have a service life, even when under ideal operating conditions. Just ensure that all of the hoses are free from any kind of blockages and what not.
Thanks. So I'll replace the screen at least. Any point to replacing the fuel pump carrier with its built-in filters? It's only 45 bucks, so I figure might as well?