S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Exedy KHC06 kit with OEM bearings

Old 05-14-2019, 06:50 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Exedy 'oem' is inferior. Typical failure mode is it will drop a spring in about 20k miles. Do not use.

It is indeed deceptive, and deceitful, marketing. What they supposedly mean is that is this is their stock level of performance clutch. But its clear their intention was to sell more product by making people think they are the oem supplier to Honda. Which wouldn't be as terrible if the product weren't dreadfully low quality. Especially since its so much labor to replace it when it fails prematurely.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:12 AM

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Exedy 'oem' is inferior. Typical failure mode is it will drop a spring in about 20k miles. Do not use.

It is indeed deceptive, and deceitful, marketing. What they supposedly mean is that is this is their stock level of performance clutch. But its clear their intention was to sell more product by making people think they are the oem supplier to Honda. Which wouldn't be as terrible if the product weren't dreadfully low quality. Especially since its so much labor to replace it when it fails prematurely.
Exedy, aka Daikin Clutch, is actually an OEM Honda supplier for lots of vehicles and their OEM replacement level parts are often excellent, just not their TOBs or the disc specifically for the S2000.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Apparently the Sachs kit on Rock Auto is the OEM clutch kit.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Apparently the Sachs kit on Rock Auto is the OEM clutch kit.

Ehhh....

It might be. Or it might be some sort of refurbished part. Take a Honda disc...load it with your own springs and friction material....and re-sell.

Also no way to know if its the UPDATED disc.

I am 100% sure the OP is a troll post. But for anyone seeking actual info, I would still advise playing it safe and buying from a dealer.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I ended up ordering it the day I posted this topic and tried to cancel based on what was said here and by Billman. I ordered from Rock Auto.

It appears that the pressure plate and clutch release bearing are OEM. FCC is stamped on the pressure plate and the release bearing is Nachi 68SCRG. The pilot bearing is not OEM(made in China) and the disc doesn’t have any FCC marks. It does say made in Japan so it could be.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

You really don't need to change the pressure plate, the stock one is bulletproof.
That release bearing looks like it could be worth keeping, send back that friction disc and pilot bearing if possible, not worth installing.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:02 PM

what in the world...

Just because the bearing is stamped "Nachi Japan", and the plate is stamped "FCC" doesn't mean it will work the same as the factory clutch.

Even if its actually made by the same manufacturer as Honda uses, it may or may not be the same as a dealer part.

I would buy a kit from a dealer. Or plan to do this job twice.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
what in the world...

Just because the bearing is stamped "Nachi Japan", and the plate is stamped "FCC" doesn't mean it will work the same as the factory clutch.

Even if its actually made by the same manufacturer as Honda uses, it may or may not be the same as a dealer part.
It's not just a metal stamp though on the disc, it appears to be exactly the same. Whilst it's not out of the question that Fuji Chemical Company or another company could make an inferior version down to the smallest detail or replicate it you'd have ask the question why they'd bother for such a small volume car like the s2000. Also given the great reputation of the FCC disc and their ties with Honda surely it would be commercial suicide to produce an exacting design with inferior materials/workmanship.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by clio
It's not just a metal stamp though on the disc, it appears to be exactly the same. Whilst it's not out of the question that Fuji Chemical Company or another company could make an inferior version down to the smallest detail or replicate it you'd have ask the question why they'd bother for such a small volume car like the s2000. Also given the great reputation of the FCC disc and their ties with Honda surely it would be commercial suicide to produce an exacting design with inferior materials/workmanship.

Look at the disc in the photo and compare it to a Honda genuine disc, bruv.

The plate is stamped FCC. But...the plate isn't the part that usually fails on aftermarket clutches (though, sometimes the leaf springs do break).

And even then....is it made to the same spec as the Honda plate?

Is an aftermarket Nachi bearing made like the ones made for Honda?

Honda uses manufacturers to make parts to THEIR spec to sell on THEIR shelves. The manufacturer doesn't need to use the same spec to make something for the aftermarket

Insider info, I suppose

Last edited by B serious; 05-21-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Look at the disc in the photo and compare it to a Honda genuine disc, bruv.

The plate is stamped FCC. But...the plate isn't the part that usually fails on aftermarket clutches (though, sometimes the leaf springs do break).
And even then....is it made to the same spec as the Honda plate?
Is an aftermarket Nachi bearing made like the ones made for Honda?
Honda uses manufacturers to make parts to THEIR spec to sell on THEIR shelves. The manufacturer doesn't need to use the same spec to make something for the aftermarket

Insider info, I suppose
My bad - I had the other current thread about the Rock Auto FCC plate open at the same time which is a similar discussion and saw the oem disc picture.