S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

final drive installation

Old 01-25-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default final drive installation

i have about 5,000 miles on my AP2 and i want to install rick's 4.57 FD, i tried searching but didnt really find what i was looking for

i need an honest answer from ppl who have actually done the instal themselves; would you do it again? is it a DIY project if you are mechanically inclined and take the time to do it?

also i just need to confirm that what i'm thinkning is correct;

1. once the diff is opened the only thing that i remove from the actual LSD in the gear and you bolt a new one on, no need to remove any of the bearings or anything else

2. the only new bearing that i need (if i need it) is the one that i install onto the pinion

3. i will need a new spacer that goes onto the pinion

4. this is my main concern/question: how do i measure the backlash, can anybody tell me kinda step-by-step instructions

5. what is the hardest part of doing the install, what should i be aware of before i attempt doing the installation myself, will following Helms get me through the process without major problems

6. any other Honda parts that i may need, any other special tools besides the obvious

thx for you help
Old 01-25-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't have to "search". Check out the sticky at the top of UTH (FAQs).

I did most of it myself .................................
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85687

1. It's not as simple as you make it sound. There are many components that have to be removed and put back in just to change the ring out.

2. You "should" put in both new inner and outer pinion bearings but you can get away with just the inner one if the outer is new and in good condition. Do you have a bearing press and puller?

3. The "crush sleeve" is a one time use item. You may go through more than one during the process of calibrating the gears. You also have to have access to custom made shims. Once you get to that part, you then determine the thickness of the shim you need. Or does Rick's send you a couple of shims? If it ends up you need one that is not supplied, you'll need to have one made up on short notice. The complete shim kit from Honda contains about 24 shims, of which you use only one. The kit costs about 200 bucks.

4. The Helm manual will give you step by step guidelines on how to do the calibration, but do you have all the difference types of gauges that are required?

5. The hardest part is the calibration. Even seasoned Honda mechanics at dealerships will not attempt this job. Only mechanics with years of rear end experience should do this. If not done right, this mod can become your worst nightmare. Don't let anyone tell you it's "easy". I left this part up to such a mechanic and it took him nearly 4 hours to just the calibration alone. Unless you have years of ring and pinion gear experience, you are very foolish to try this.

6. The Helm manual will tell you everything that you need to have on hand.

ps. This sort of topic belongs in Under the Hood.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:09 AM

Received 1,317 Likes on 798 Posts

This is not a DIY in my opinion, unless you are a highly skiller wrencher. Dif building is the most presice job on the entire car.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:10 AM

Received 1,317 Likes on 798 Posts

Just read your post Xv. You have it summed up very well
Old 01-26-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by copmagnet82,Jan 25 2006, 10:59 PM
i have about 5,000 miles on my AP2 and i want to install rick's 4.57 FD, i tried searching but didnt really find what i was looking for

i need an honest answer from ppl who have actually done the instal themselves; would you do it again? is it a DIY project if you are mechanically inclined and take the time to do it?

also i just need to confirm that what i'm thinkning is correct;

1. once the diff is opened the only thing that i remove from the actual LSD in the gear and you bolt a new one on, no need to remove any of the bearings or anything else

2. the only new bearing that i need (if i need it) is the one that i install onto the pinion

3. i will need a new spacer that goes onto the pinion

4. this is my main concern/question: how do i measure the backlash, can anybody tell me kinda step-by-step instructions

5. what is the hardest part of doing the install, what should i be aware of before i attempt doing the installation myself, will following Helms get me through the process without major problems

6. any other Honda parts that i may need, any other special tools besides the obvious

thx for you help
1. The inner bearing on the pinion is pressed on. You will yave to press it off if you are going to reuse it.

2. There are two bearing on the pinion, innter and outer.

3. Yes, you will need a new spacer (Distance Piece) and new shims. The shims set the pinion depth. That is the first technical setting. Backlash is the last.

4. NO. There is no step by step for this. The OEM helms manual details how to, but without years of experiance, don't even try it.

5. Even a Honda tech with 20 years servicing Honda (All FWD) should not try this.

6. See above

Please don't try this your self. If you had to ask the questions you did, you don't have the required experiance and you will only be upset with the results.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is not a DIY in my opinion, unless you are a highly skiller wrencher. Dif building is the most presice job on the entire car.
4. NO. There is no step by step for this. The OEM helms manual details how to, but without years of experiance, don't even try it.

5. Even a Honda tech with 20 years servicing Honda (All FWD) should not try this.
But, but, but ..................................
This guy here is telling everyone it's EASY ...................................
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dpost&p=6860476

ps. Note that when I challenged him on it, he has not responded. In another thread he claims all he did was take the pinion to a shop to have the bearing pressed on and that was all that was not done by him. I have a feeling this guy simply took his diff apart, threw all the new parts in and never even calibrated anything. He's probably driving around with a bomb ready to go off in his back end. Or, maybe he'll be real lucky and make fools of us all.