S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flushing Coolant Question!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flushing Coolant Question!

I recently moved to Alaska and had to get the freeze point down in my S while it was in storage. (We have had -40 many times now) In consequence I used regular antifreeze as a temporary hold over until I was able to move into my house with a heated garage. I had to use normal antifreeze because the OEM Honda Type II freezes in this cold.

Anyway, I got the car in the garage now for winter and got OEM Type II coolant.
My question is what is the easiest way to flush the coolant system. I have several flushing "T" pipes of different sizes. Where is the best place to tap into?

Any help would be appreciated. I am a noob, and I researched the forum quite a bit.

Thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Im not sure Ill help or not but reg honda anti freeze should be absolutly fine up till -40.

Otherwise to drain your collant, there is a plug located at the bottom of the rad, unscrew it and it will drain.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by AP_ONE,Dec 27 2007, 11:03 AM
Well Im not sure Ill help or not but reg honda anti freeze should be absolutly fine up till -40.

Otherwise to drain your collant, there is a plug located at the bottom of the rad, unscrew it and it will drain.
You would think it would be good till -40 but they didn't even want to sell it to me at the Honda dealer. I had to assure them the car was in a heated garage. They say it gels up bad around -30. I believe them because my S is relatively new with OEM type 2 and only tested to -25 months ago.

Does anyone have a working link to Xviper's DIY flush post?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

the service manual has coolant flush directions...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Alaska! In the summer we have two roadcourse style races on an old airfield in tanacross (southeast of fairbanks), you should attend. As far as flushing coolant. I am flushing my coolant right now and basically what i am doing is draining the radiator which contains most of the coolant and then i drain the block by pulling off the coolant line to runs to the oil filter. You can also drain the block by unscrewing the coolant draing plug but thats right under the exhaust manifold and kind of a pain in the butt. When the old coolant is out then i fill mine with tap water and let her idle for awhile with the garage door cracked after i get 3 bars drain it out and repeat again with tap water. When the tap water becomes clear then i flush one last time with destilled water and then i fill her up with type 2 bleed her and call it good. Also since your new to alaska you should check out http://www.alaskamotorsports.com That site will keep you up to date on whats going on in alaska regarding motorsports.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by SUPERAnimal,Dec 27 2007, 11:48 AM
Welcome to Alaska! In the summer we have two roadcourse style races on an old airfield in tanacross (southeast of fairbanks), you should attend. As far as flushing coolant. I am flushing my coolant right now and basically what i am doing is draining the radiator which contains most of the coolant and then i drain the block by pulling off the coolant line to runs to the oil filter. You can also drain the block by unscrewing the coolant draing plug but thats right under the exhaust manifold and kind of a pain in the butt. When the old coolant is out then i fill mine with tap water and let her idle for awhile with the garage door cracked after i get 3 bars drain it out and repeat again with tap water. When the tap water becomes clear then i flush one last time with destilled water and then i fill her up with type 2 bleed her and call it good. Also since your new to alaska you should check out http://www.alaskamotorsports.com That site will keep you up to date on whats going on in alaska regarding motorsports.
Wow, somebody else from Alaska (I have heard of Tanacross and plan on going)!!!

Thanks for the replies everybody. I finished flushing the coolant.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AP_ONE,Dec 27 2007, 01:03 PM

As is recall most coolant sold in the lower 48 is good to about -25 when in perfect condition. Artic mix anti-freeze will go to -65.