Fuel pump not working - Page 2 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Fuel pump not working

Old 02-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by tehlonz View Post
You said you tested PGM Relay though already.
When you prime, can you measure 12v+ off the SOS relay out? If not the coil is not closing on the SOS relay, which should be triggered by the ground from ultimately the ECU.

Yes I swapped in a known good pgm relay to test and also can see 12v at the sos relay out as well as further down to the actual plug harness right before it goes into basket. So all appears good up to the basket itself.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:21 PM

You are getting 12V without any load though, have you checked the same voltage when the pump is connected to the basket and is not working?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM

to add on to what flanders said about checking voltage with load. The ground may not be strong enough for stable voltage?

the spade connector acts as a second ground when the basket is bolted to the body.

are you testing with at least one of the nuts tightened? or is the basket just resting in the tank?

sorry if im not helping. lol
Old 02-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by flanders View Post
You are getting 12V without any load though, have you checked the same voltage when the pump is connected to the basket and is not working?
I have not. Since i'm testing at the plug, but with this test suggestion that plug will not be accessible due to it being plugged into the basket, where would you like me to test the voltage from? Peirce the same wire above connector? Or bellow connector at the blue wire from the two wire pnp harness that plugs into the pump?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Deckoz View Post
to add on to what flanders said about checking voltage with load. The ground may not be strong enough for stable voltage?

the spade connector acts as a second ground when the basket is bolted to the body.

are you testing with at least one of the nuts tightened? or is the basket just resting in the tank?

sorry if im not helping. lol
Tested with basket just resting on tank. This however was how I tested the last basket(current) and primed fine when replaced. Didn't want to go to hassle of connecting all back up just to find it didn't work. There is a main/upgraded sos ground wire that runs from the oem connector to trunk mount just fyi.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky View Post
I have not. Since i'm testing at the plug, but with this test suggestion that plug will not be accessible due to it being plugged into the basket, where would you like me to test the voltage from? Peirce the same wire above connector? Or bellow connector at the blue wire from the two wire pnp harness that plugs into the pump?
As close to the pump as possible, best would be if you can check right at the pump connector.
Then you work your way back and hopefully find the problem
Old 02-05-2019, 02:40 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by flanders View Post
As close to the pump as possible, best would be if you can check right at the pump connector.
Then you work your way back and hopefully find the problem
Ok gotcha. Will do and report back.

So considering there isn't a whole lot of "back" left( since I get voltage at top plug on connector - and i'm going to venture to guess that I will not see voltage on the wire nearest to pump you are having me test, if so does that pinpoint anything for you other then this replacement basket now gone bad? I will check both ends of the pnp connector from top plug connector to pump. There is anything else back from there that isn't getting voltage.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-05-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:04 PM
Community Organizer

Ok well this is interesting but a little confusing. I shoved the probe in to the back side of the connector off pump closest to the top plug end and now the pump is priming! So only thing I can think of is somehow the blue wire wasn't making a good connection inside the plug until jostled it around? Makes me nervous putting it all back together now and not having it fail again. I think I will take the plug connector out of the pump basket I have coming and swap them. After that and taking another close look at connectors, not sure what else can do there. So again appears to have just been a bad connection but ironically an oem one, and the broken float arm from previous basket that was lost was just a coincidental circumstance finding it in pump area portion of fuel tank after this failure.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-05-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:14 PM
Community Organizer

Thanks you guys for the assistance. Always nice with the once in a blue moon when I have a problem I cant figure out, others come to help me

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-05-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:19 PM

Nice. I was gonna say some of our connectors are only rated for a certain amount of plugs - unplugs, as the female sides tend to spread. Like you mentioned, I'd replace that intermediate harness in the basket, with a new one so you got fresh tight female sockets

god this sounds so wrong.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump not working

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands