S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Heater not coming on (HVAC/blower motor)

Old 06-19-2022, 07:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Heater not coming on (HVAC/blower motor)

so im finally getting around to creature comforts, which is AC/heat and EPS which i've been without for 12 years. they've never worked in this car, and i've never really bothered to fix it because i got used to it. i'm getting a bit older now and would rather have these things fixed so i can drive the car regularly (9:1 shortblock project sitting on the bench -- more on that later). The problem is that i've never seen this work so i don't really know what failed before i owned it. anyone have any idea where to start before i replace more stuff?

so far:
-checked all the fuses (40A under hood, 7.5A under dash fuses)
-replaced the heater relay (replaced HVAC blower motor relay with a new one)
-plugged in a known good blower motor (nothing, no click at the relay etc.)
-AC controls on the cluster bezel show lights and function normally

next:
-replace the HVAC resistor thing thats like 20-30$ known to fail for S2000 and RSX and other hondas from the era.

also, whats the best way or tool to test for power at various parts of the circuit? (i hate poking the back of plugs that are hard to get to)
Old 06-20-2022, 05:12 AM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by dagle
so im finally getting around to creature comforts, which is AC/heat and EPS which i've been without for 12 years. they've never worked in this car, and i've never really bothered to fix it because i got used to it. i'm getting a bit older now and would rather have these things fixed so i can drive the car regularly (9:1 shortblock project sitting on the bench -- more on that later). The problem is that i've never seen this work so i don't really know what failed before i owned it. anyone have any idea where to start before i replace more stuff?

so far:
-checked all the fuses (40A under hood, 7.5A under dash fuses)
-replaced the heater relay (replaced HVAC blower motor relay with a new one)
-plugged in a known good blower motor (nothing, no click at the relay etc.)
-AC controls on the cluster bezel show lights and function normally

next:
-replace the HVAC resistor thing thats like 20-30$ known to fail for S2000 and RSX and other hondas from the era.

also, whats the best way or tool to test for power at various parts of the circuit? (i hate poking the back of plugs that are hard to get to)
Check the resistance to the wires leading to the blower?
Old 06-20-2022, 09:02 AM

out to the blower with the AC on it's zero and confirmed with swapping blower motors with a known good unit. after some searching i think im looking for a power probe to make diagnostics a little easier so i can fire off 12v from the fusebox and see where it stops. im handy enough to read resistance between points, but not familiar with reading electrical diagrams, relay gates, etc. (if there's a crash course video that'd be great, but i'm out of my depth and definitely out of my confidence reading the circuit diagrams in the manual aside from recognizing the components of battery, component, fuse, relay and grounds)
Old 06-22-2022, 10:41 PM

klein multimeter and power probe come in today, but in the mean time looks like i found someone with the exact setup and problems that i have (down to the previously-installed vortech supercharger and berlina paint)

last post in this linked thread below -- ill try tomorrow with some spade connectors to fill in more space. wish i could find a picture of vortech's taps to see what they did.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...-795972/page2/
Old 06-23-2022, 04:33 PM

update: confirmed that it was that pin losing contact from being tapped by the previous owner for the supercharger. with the engine off and heater on, i wiggled the relay around (in/out and side-to-side) and felt the relay clicking in my hand as well as the blower motor coming on/off. put a crutch into the affected slot (according to vortech's wiring diagram, it's only one of the relay spades that get tapped) and the heater's working again (after a 11-12 year break). thanks slowcrash, you got me off my butt to learn how to diagnose/troubleshoot car electronics that led me to the other thread haha

page 28, figure 12:
https://usermanual.wiki/Vortech-Engi...053400617/html
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (06-24-2022)