S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP 1st and 2nd gear weird noise

Old 09-16-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 1st and 2nd gear weird noise

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, and i just bough my "new" S2k a few hours ago. And when I was testing the car I noticed that the 1st gear had a little noise, but nothing loud.

So when I take care of all the papers and I get to my place that's 300km from the place I bought it, all over the journey I didn't noticed nothing, because 3rd 4ft 5ft 6st gear it's all ok. But when I arrived at my town and when I needed to use 1st gear and noticed that the noise was a bit loud then when I tried the first time. And now its getting louder and louder but only on 1st and 2st gear, and i think also on reverse...

The car have warranty... but its always a headache this kind of situation.

I really think that my gearbox it's dying, maybe lack of oil...

please check this videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKFIj1qwC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wrNc6qbibw

I have and AP1 with an AP2 gearbox . The store where I bought the s2k, the guy gave me the number of the old owner, that's a very nice guy and we always keep the car at good shape, and he told me that he put it double carbon synchros, don't know if its true...

Hope i'm posting on the right place and following the rules.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:46 PM

Received 1,437 Likes on 964 Posts

I really can't hear anything bad in your YT links. Is it grinding between shifts or noise, once you are in gear?

Something doesn't seem right. It sounds like you are shifting at a very, very low RPM range.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
I really can't anything bad in your YT links. Is it grinding between shifts or noise, once you are in gear?

Something doesn't seem right. It sounds like you are shifting at a very, very low RPM range.

Yes i'm shifting at 2500 rpm, because its louder on lower RPM. its a tickling. Its similar to this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6j85AH7T3Q
but mine its only on 1st and 2ng gear, and i think the reverse its getting in to with to ....

gonna call to the car store tomorrow... The car its in mint condition, well it looks like. awesome engine noise, doors, interiors, exteriors.... but he gearbox... it's always a headache when it comes to the gearbox... Well I prefer a bad gearbox than a bad engine...
Old 09-16-2016, 05:22 PM

OK, got it. Can you get the car to make this noise, without car moving? In gear --- with clutch pedal down. In neutral?
Old 09-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Ive lost 2 transmissions when boosted, and they both made that terrible crunchy sound before they let go if what im hearing on your video is what I think it is. How you didn't hear this on the test drive i do not know, but my advice is to take it back immediately for warranty work, because that car will leave you stranded as is, its a ticking time bomb, and also the longer you wait the harder it will be to argue for free work if they try and hassle you over it. Threaten to return the car entirely as a "lemon" if they dont repair or replace the trans. It would be cheaper for them to find another good used trans and just swap it in. Fight for a warranty on that trans. Yours sounds like the main input bearing has let go and the shaft is lose and vibrating around inside. Id be surprised if you could get 50 more miles out of it as is.

Good luck man, let us know how it goes.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by DaRkPT
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, and i just bough my "new" S2k a few hours ago. And when I was testing the car I noticed that the 1st gear had a little noise, but nothing loud.

So when I take care of all the papers and I get to my place that's 300km from the place I bought it, all over the journey I didn't noticed nothing, because 3rd 4ft 5ft 6st gear it's all ok. But when I arrived at my town and when I needed to use 1st gear and noticed that the noise was a bit loud then when I tried the first time. And now its getting louder and louder but only on 1st and 2st gear, and i think also on reverse...

The car have warranty... but its always a headache this kind of situation.

I really think that my gearbox it's dying, maybe lack of oil...

please check this videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKFIj1qwC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wrNc6qbibw

I have and AP1 with an AP2 gearbox . The store where I bought the s2k, the guy gave me the number of the old owner, that's a very nice guy and we always keep the car at good shape, and he told me that he put it double carbon synchros, don't know if its true...

Hope i'm posting on the right place and following the rules.
I had the same exact problem. It's most likely your input bearing to the gearbox, but it could also be your clutch fork. Honda sent out a service bulletin back in the early 2000s that calls for the clutch plate and clutch fork to be replaced.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:29 AM

I've went to a friend of mine that's the best mechanic i've met all my life.

And he said what I was expecting for. My gearbox "MAYBE" it still's good, but the bearings from 1 and 2 gear aren't. Maybe lack of oil.

It can't be the clutch, because when I press the clutch (its when all stop inside the gearbox) it stops all the noise. When I leave the clutch it starts again, but its in very low noise. When I put 1st gear and accelarate till 2500rpm it starts the noise, and its getting louder, also in 2nd gear.

I've made 3 more videos today i'm going to upload them and post it here.

Thx for all the support mates.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:11 AM

I've went to a friend of mine that's the best mechanic i've met all my life.

And he said what I was expecting for. My gearbox "MAYBE" it still's good, but the bearings from 1 and 2 gear aren't. Maybe lack of oil.

It can't be the clutch, because when I press the clutch (its when all stop inside the gearbox) it stops all the noise. When I leave the clutch it starts again, but its in very low noise. When I put 1st gear and accelarate till 2500rpm it starts the noise, and its getting louder, also in 2nd gear.

Is it like a rumbling, shaky/trembling noise ?

I think my car does this too and I been driving it for almost two years now lol
Old 09-21-2016, 06:41 AM

It can't be the clutch, because when I press the clutch (its when all stop inside the gearbox) it stops all the noise. When I leave the clutch it starts again, but its in very low noise. When I put 1st gear and accelerate till 2500rpm it starts the noise, and its getting louder, also in 2nd gear.

UGH! Sounds like you are going to need to pull the tranny. I hope this mechanic is familiar with working on S2000 transmissions.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Originally Posted by DaRkPT' timestamp='1474133377' post='24064052
It can't be the clutch, because when I press the clutch (its when all stop inside the gearbox) it stops all the noise. When I leave the clutch it starts again, but its in very low noise. When I put 1st gear and accelerate till 2500rpm it starts the noise, and its getting louder, also in 2nd gear.

UGH! Sounds like you are going to need to pull the tranny. I hope this mechanic is familiar with working on S2000 transmissions.

Good luck!

I have 90% sure that's a bearing on the countershaft. Because the noise it's louder on 1st and 2nd gear. Once the car is under warranty i'm going to leave on the HONDA local dealer to have a diagnose. But the guy from the car store it's saying we ain't going to pay for it... we'll see...

thx for the help guys. I will keep the topic update.

cheers