S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda engines suck oil. I have blown 2 engines with in 2,700 miles

Old 10-31-2002, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda engines suck oil. I have blown 2 engines with in 2,700 miles

I spun a main bearing on my s2000 with 35,600 miles on it. P.S. honda in N.Y. replaced the engine and 2,700 miles later the same thing happened. Now Honda is making me pay for it. They are saying that this car burns 1 quart per 1000 miles so it's my fault. I need help they can't get away with this any ideas before I go and postal
Thanks
Michael Oromaner
Old 10-31-2002, 12:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This car CAN go through 1 qt. of oil in 1000 miles in its early life, but if not broken in properly, can continue to burn oil for quite some time. Did you not keep track of your oil level? Checking the oil in this car has to be somewhat of a religion until you understand what its comsumption rate is. If you never checked the oil and it got too low, I suppose in a way, it is your fault.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately, it states in the owner's manual to check the oil level at every fill up because of oil consumption during break-in.

Think you got it bad? The Z06 consumes crazy amounts of oil during engine break-in. Oil consumption during break-in is a characteristic of high performance engines.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:29 PM

At least they paid for the first one...

Talk to some Australian S2000 owners, Honda deny all responsibility by default
Old 10-31-2002, 01:53 PM

I agree 100% It feels like I lost my only child. Here's the part I can't figure out. After they replaced the engine the first time I checked the oil once a week. I check the oil a week before it blew and it read full not even a dent. The oil light comes on when there's no oil in the engine. That bright by that time it's too late. I am looking for an engine any ideas.
Mike
Old 10-31-2002, 02:04 PM

Received 1,307 Likes on 795 Posts

when you blew your second engine, exactly how much oil was shown on the stick at that point, and when the dealer checked the oil, how low did they say it was? note to all s2000 owners: should you have any engine troubles, make sure you add oil to the proper level before the dealer sees it even if you already blew you engine. so when the dealer pulls the dip stick, you'll be covered.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:49 PM

ALONG W/ THE QUESTION OF THE OIL, DID YOU BABY IT? I MEAN, WERE YOU BREAKING IT IN PROPERLY...AND WHAT WERE YOU DOING WHEN IT BLEW...(RPM'S)...I KNOW THEY (HONDA) SAYS 600, BUT I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT EITHER....I RAN MINE THRU THE FIRST 1500-2000 MILES BEFORE I EVEN TOUCHED VTEC, AND ONLY AFTER THE FIRST OIL CHANGE DID I REALLY HIT IT.....IT IS JUST DIFFICULT TO TAKE THAT YOU BLEW TWO ENGINES SO "PREMATURELY"......I DO AGREE THAT THE ENGINES PROBALLY DID HAVE A PROBLEM, BUT ARE U SURE YOU DO NOT SHARE ANY OF THE BLAME?????? EITHER WAY...I DO WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK IN GETTING THEM TO BEAR THE COST OF THE NEXT ENGINE AS I WOULD NOT WISH THAT ON ANYONE....BUT NEXT TIME, PLZ FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR BABY, GO EASY AND BREAK HER IN SLOWLY.....
Old 10-31-2002, 07:37 PM

If Honda has no intention of replacing your motor, I would consider going to someone like www.importbuilders.com and talk to Jeff. They can build you a new bottom-end for around $5000 using Cunningham rods and Arias pistons, and that will be a lot stronger than what you have now. If you let them use your current block, you will save money too, as the $5000 includes a new block.

They're going to build me a new motor so I can keep my original and have matching numbers. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Chris
Old 10-31-2002, 08:11 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Why do they think the oil was too low? How could that even happen if you checked at every fill up.

Look in your manual. Honda service and parts are gauranteed for a year! I bet you didn't have the new engine that long. No way I'd let them make me pay for it. Check with your state's consumer affairs department to see what proceedures exist to bring the dispute to someone who can help you short of having to go to court. Sorry about this rant. Must be the lawyer in me. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:44 PM

is this a new S2000????

Quick Reply: Honda engines suck oil. I have blown 2 engines with in 2,700 miles