S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda engines suck oil. I have blown 2 engines with in 2,700 miles

Old 10-31-2002, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it (the motor problems) truly is of no fault of yours, GOBIGer, not postal
Old 11-01-2002, 03:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is most unfortunate.

You stated that you checked the oil and then one week later the engine "blew". If true, you probably met your obligations for maintenance (unless you drove A LOT that week and really beat on the engine). If I were you, I'd pursue this further with Honda. I'd want to know WHY you're having engine failures so regularly. It is possible that the engine failed and that RESULTED in excessive oil consumption rather than the other way around.

I read a story about a Miata motor that failed and was replaced under warrantee only to fail again. The warrantee was denied and when an independent machine shop tore into the block, they found a broken drill bit lodged in one of the oil passages. It was removed and the engine worked fine after that.

Good luck and let us know how this is resolved.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:21 AM

Well the car is gone and the truth is I did check the oil a week before the engine blew. I was going about 130 mph that night and when I got off the highway I hear that dreadfull ticking noise. I knew exactly what it was and raised my fist to GOD and asked or cryed Why. Honda should stick to what their good at accords or at least address the problem why the car burning oil it's not fair to the public. The car needs an oil gauge and get this I was told by honda the oil light comes on when theirs no oil in the engine well thats a little to later. Heres a good idea have the oil light come on when you are low a quart or two. I have lots of problem in the 3 years I have owned the car. Honda is ripping off the public by building a fast but built like shit sports car. I hope whey address this problem so others don';t have to go through what I have been through. I will never buy a honda again assholes
Regards
Michael Oromaner
Old 11-14-2002, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by gobig
I was going about 130 mph that night... and raised my fist to GOD and asked or cryed Why.
I'm going to resist the urge to lecture you...
Old 11-14-2002, 10:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gobig
[B]Well the car is gone and the truth is I did check the oil a week before the engine blew. I was going about 130 mph that night and when I
Old 11-14-2002, 03:17 PM

Goog God sounds like my 99 Ford Cobra, which I disposed of because it was well as they say in France, Pooh Pooh. Yeah my oil fluctuates quite a bit but I check it every day before I start it. Speaking of Ford I see they used the same assembly practices for the 2003 Cobra, well what was the 2003 Cobra prior to the stopping of manufacturing due to Pooh Pooh engines.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:50 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

gobig-

Sorry to hear of the dilemma with your s2k, and I hope everything works out okay.

Can ANYONE please explain why some s2k's don't burn ANY oil, either during or after the break-in period. I know this is a fact, and I have read many posts by owners who state that this is true for their cars.

Burning no (perceptable) oil, versus burning lots of oil- BOTH cannot be "normal".

How could a new engine burn lots of oil if the tolerances are correct? Where exactly is all that oil coming into the cylinder? Valve guides? Rings? Cylinder imperfections?

Even if it is normal to burn that much oil, it should not be a mystery as to how it's getting into the mix. Proper leakdown testing should reveal the source. Leakdown testing is specific to this type of malfunction.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Variation is to be expected for mass produced items like the F20C motor. They are built to certain tolerance specifications, but they are not identical. Additionally, owners use their cars in different ways, subjecting them to different types of stress at different levels of intensity and duration. Add on top of that the different maintenance practices and expectations and you get a wide range of claims on this board.

I carefully track my oil usage and find it consistent with all of the other cars that i have owned. It uses about 1/2 to 3/4 qt of oil between 5k mile oil changes. I broke mine in according to Honda's recommendations, and now drive the car hard on occasion.

Engine failures while driving the car at high speeds for "extended periods" is exactly why updates are performed in Europe to address concerns of the oil spray bolts not flowing enough oil.

gobig - If you're still following this thread, had you been at that speed for long (more than 15 minutes), or just a short time?
Old 11-15-2002, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my car relatively hard, and after I fixed the leak around the oil pressure gauge sensor, which was deceiving me into thinking I was burning a lot of oil, it burns no oil at all.

I'm sorry to hear of your predicament.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:40 PM

Sorry to hear of your problem. But it seems you run the hell out of your car. Remember this.................Break in, break in. That is the key to any engine's longevity.
Good luck
Zcar

Quick Reply: Honda engines suck oil. I have blown 2 engines with in 2,700 miles