S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda engines suck oil. I have blown 2 engines with in 2,700 miles

Old 11-15-2002, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about rest of you, but I bought my car because of its performance. If I was going to drive slow, I would have bought something else.
Honda, blaming car owners for inherent engine design problem leading to failure is unacceptable. My car still burns 1/2 to 1 qt. every 4-5k miles on vehicle with over 20K miles. I followed to the letter for break-in and took easy for first 2k miles. I owned numerous car but no vehicle that I have owned burned this much oil. How could anyone justify engine burning that much oil?
Gobig, sorry to hear about your problem. I am with you man this is last HONDA that I'll ever buy.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:53 AM

learn how to take good care of your car before you drive it.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by s22k
WTF
Old 11-17-2002, 05:54 AM

Received 5,075 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally posted by s22k
He checked the oil weekly. Now I wonder how many S2000 are doing as well? Driving the car 130mph with 2,700 miles on it is no crime. That's well past break in. And your advice would be?

From the sounds of it, I think he has a very good case to push to higher management at Honda or into the legal system.

As for oil consumption, mine's been one quart every 1,700 miles... and I do check it after every fill up. I place a reminder card inside the pouch area of the radio cover. On gas-up days after I return home I pull out the card and set it by the shifter. The car's cooled off and sitting level in the same parking spot when I return to drive it the next time. I do a quick oil check, put the card back in the pouch, and I'm off.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:53 PM

I agree with dlq04. Checking the oil with each fill-up should be adequate. Also, note that while the manual does suggest checking the oil regularly, Honda dealers really should hammer home the point. When I picked up my car, they said nothing about the breakin period or the fact that the car burns oil. I've owne three Honda's -- an 82 Civic, an 84 CRX, and an 89 CRX, and NONE of them burn oil at all, even during breakin. In any case, GoBig, I'm sorry to hear your story.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Rick Hesel
I drive my car relatively hard, and after I fixed the leak around the oil pressure gauge sensor, which was deceiving me into thinking I was burning a lot of oil, it burns no oil at all.

I'm sorry to hear of your predicament.
was this a leak on the stock sensor or your mod sensor?
Old 11-19-2002, 03:59 AM

In europe we have had a recall on something sounding like what you have experienced (there are additional threads on it, go search).

Extended high-speed driving (30 min 120 mph+) in hot climate could lead to overheating and problems with oil supply to the 4th cylinder (i think it was 4th...). The recall included changing some of the oil bolts/screws or something like that.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:33 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Its not so much that Honda engines suck but the fact that Honda service sucks.

My engine failed 4 months ago and to this day i am battling Honda Australia.

To this day they are blaming it on an overrev eventhough it has classic symptoms of a #4cylinder failure yet no signs of bent/broken valves which are classic of overreving.

I am currently taking legal action. Its the only way.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:16 AM

Since it sounds like I am not the only one that this has happened to I will bring you back to when I first bought my s2000 on my first oil change about 30 miles away from my house the oil plug pops out bounces off the ground and hits the bottom of my car. I looked and all I saw was smoke. I pulled over and to my disbelief a large puddle of oil and P.S. honda in NY scumbags that they are left me on the side of the road for 5 hours. I though they forgot to tighten the bolt but this wasn't it happened 2 other times. This my friends has never happened to me before. My guess is the bolt loosen up and all the oil leaked out so I put 3 quarts in and checked under the car a couple days later and on oil so I am still in the dark. I NEED LEGAL HELP I check the block numbers and they changed the block but I have a feeling they used the same main bearing and cyinders and was not balanced right thats my guess. Has this never happened to anyone else and who should I talk to at honda I have a letter from Don pippin of honda stating that it is an industry standard from cars to burn 1 quart per 1000 miles this can't be true or is it.
Thanks
Michael Oromaner
Old 11-19-2002, 07:09 AM

Received 5,075 Likes on 3,059 Posts

I've had a trouble free engine (11k now) and it uses a quart every 1,400 to 1,800 miles. In their Tech Serv Bltn on oil, Honda mentions that some S2000 go through a quart every 1,000 miles but I've never heard any owner's actually reporting that.

Quick Reply: Honda engines suck oil. I have blown 2 engines with in 2,700 miles