S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How bad is towing?

Old 05-30-2002, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is towing?

Hello all,

Well, I managed to get my poor little S2K towed today. My parking pass was in the center console, which is where I stick it when the top is down. Forgot to put it back on the mirror when I went to work.

I asked the "gentleman" at the tow shack how they did it, since the manual obviously says not to do it without a flatbed. They said they put dollies under the rear tires and lifted the front tires with the fork. (You've seen those new-fangled T-shaped tow thingies that just pick up the tires.)

Anyway, the car was in gear, parking brake was on, LSD, etc, so they had to move it without turning any wheels. The car seems fine, no scrapes or damage on the undercarraige or anything. Drives fine, tires look fine, no marks.

So, anything I may be missing? I can't think of anything that would have gotten damaged. With the rears on dollies, there should (must) have been plenty of clearence on the back end.

Any thoughts (besides what an moron I am?)

-Dan
Old 05-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Flatbed is ideal, but the way they towed it is fine. Many towing companies use that setup since it has most of the benefits of a flatbed for far less money. It puts no strain on the drivetrain, as your vehicle has no contact with the ground.

The only thing to check out for is any possible scratches or scrapes that may have occurred when they were strapping your car to the dollies. I never had any issues with this in the past and most places are surprisingly careful when they tow cars.

By chance, was the towing company AAA certified? If they were, you shouldn't have any problems at all. AAA is pretty darned good about screening companies...