S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

IDLE ISSUE: RPMs drop when stopped, Car stalls.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default IDLE ISSUE: RPMs drop when stopped, Car stalls.

Hello UTH,

So ive been noticing, slowly but surely, an idling issue with the S, that keeps getting worse. It drives just fine throughout the RPM range, shifting gears, etc. Its just when i come to a stop, the idle will either idle lower than usual/rough or rise somewhere between 1100-1300 for a split second, then drop dramatically and eventually stall. It starts right back up every time without issues, but continues the behavior after coming to a stop again. Ive replaced the PCV, New OEM Spark Plugs, Zip tied the MAP, and cleaned the IAC. It helped for a couple days, but now the issue is back. Not sure where to go from this point...ive read about the "map whack" and "ecu reset". I may try those next, if those dont work, i might end up purchasing a new IAC. Ive read similar threads of people experiencing the same types of issues, and it seems to come down to either the MAP or IAC (ive been googling for weeks...). Anyone else experience this issue? Any other "fixes" for this? Banging my head against the wall with this one, I want to get back to enjoying driving the car! Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 1,292 Likes on 788 Posts

Explain how you cleaned the iac.

The proper way is to split the halves and free up the shaft. Use no cleaner at all.

The shaft turns back and forth during operation. The grease in the bearings packs up at the end of the range, causing sticking.

Whip the shaft free with your finger (spin it fast) idle will be perfect.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250

The proper way is to split the halves and free up the shaft. Use no cleaner at all.

The shaft turns back and forth during operation. The grease in the bearings packs up at the end of the range, causing sticking.

i cleaned it with cleaner...so "split the halves", what do you mean exactly? im willing to try it, if you think that would fix my issue.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:29 PM

Update: did the map whack, took it off and cleaned it. did the ecu reset/idle re-learn procedure. during the idle re-learn procedure the EPS light came on...ive never seen that light. Jumped the plug, code reads 22 (two long, two short blinks) something about vehicle speed sensor...? all of that didnt fix the issue either. so all in all...it seems ive made it worse by trying to fix it
Old 05-20-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've been having the same "bang head" moments with my 2003 :banged:for about a year now. I get a drop in idle at odd times and mostly at stop lights and backing into the garage. I've read all over the internet about these symptoms but I don't find any real solution to the problem. Usually someone posts on a forum about their problem and they never write back about how it was solved. maybe it was never solved and is why they have never written back... I'm in the Indianapolis, Indiana area and I'd love to find someone that is local with the same symptoms so I can prove to myself that I'm not crazy. I take my S to an Acura dealer because they seem more capable than my local Honda dealer to work on my car. The Acura dealer said that they've experienced the hesitation and recommended that I have my Master and Slave clutch Cylenders replaced. Since my problem seems to be associated with clutch engagement I'm thinking they might be on to something. Not sure I'm into the cost of replacing these since I can't find anything wrong with them at all. I'm going to be going through my set up this week end and see if I see any signs of leaking or failure. I'll post here if I find anything that makes a difference while I work through this. Currently I've had my fuel injectors cleaned and have done the MAP whack and no luck so far. Next I'll be looking at my CIA filter and possibly IACV clean.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250

Thanks Billman!

Here's a pic for others

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/492...t__p__22101591
Old 05-23-2016, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by impulse21
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1463766719' post='23972335

Thanks Billman!

Here's a pic for others

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/492...t__p__22101591

thanks guys, tried this this weekend. so far so good...it definitely seems IAC related at this point as that is the one thing that changes the behavior of the car everytime i mess with it.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the exact same issue. My IACV has been split, cleaned, and rotates just fine. I think I will try to clean the throttle body next.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:47 AM

Received 1,444 Likes on 968 Posts

Originally Posted by Soviet
I have the exact same issue. My IACV has been split, cleaned, and rotates just fine. I think I will try to clean the throttle body next.
Soviet, you ruled-out any vacuum hose leaks?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Originally Posted by Soviet' timestamp='1464070540' post='23974840
Soviet, you ruled-out any vacuum hose leaks?

Thanks!
This car actually has the Izze air pump and evap delete. Here are my vacuum hose caps.

IDLE ISSUE: RPMs drop when stopped, Car stalls.-wdnie39.jpg

IDLE ISSUE: RPMs drop when stopped, Car stalls.-8firfip.jpg

Here are any others. Not sure which or if any others are vacuum.

IDLE ISSUE: RPMs drop when stopped, Car stalls.-7aqqlss.jpg