S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

If your car suddenly doesn't start...

Old 05-05-2024, 06:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If your car suddenly doesn't start...

This is mostly for reference purposes, because anyone who has this issue is not going to want to spend a lot of time diagnosing it or finding info about it (i.e. this was my experience stranded at a friend's house this past weekend).

Symptoms: car was running fine when last used, but now will not start. All dash and interior lights function as normal, battery is healthy (e.g. can raise/lower the top), engine start button lights up when pushed, but no sounds from engine bay or anywhere in response to pushing it. There may have recently been bits of plastic on the floor.

Those of you who've experienced this will know exactly what happened when reading "bits of plastic". At first I thought this was an electrical issue, and it sort of is—if your starter is OK (hopefully), then this issue is caused by a failure of the clutch interlock switch to properly engage. If you're lucky and the switch itself hasn't failed (I don't think this is a common failure point), then it has merely failed to engage because the plastic grommet mounted in the clutch pedal has disintegrated and is no longer pushing in the interlock switch. This means the car is thinking the clutch is engaged even when it isn't and therefore will not allow you to activate the starter. Note that there are two switches on the clutch pedal—one to indicate it is unpressed, and one to indicate it is pressed. The interlock switch is the one conveniently hidden deep up underneath the dash.

There are numerous ways to repair this long-term (I wouldn't recommend installing another grommet), but If this issue has left you stranded somewhere you will need quick fixes. There are two popular options:

1) Find a napkin, rag, or paper towel and wad it up past the clutch pedal and its housing to fill the space between the pedal and the switch, as indicated by the red arrow on the driver-facing side of the clutch pedal in this image. This will require a screwdriver or a pencil unless you have tiny fingers, and is a surprisingly stable solution—if you don't have a toolkit or are uncomfortable removing the clutch pedal this should do you for a while.

2) BE CAREFUL—bypass the interlock switch using a paperclip. This will cause the car to assume it is always safe to engage the starter which can lead to disastrous outcomes if you are not paying attention.

I eventually settled on Option 1 after being stranded. Depending on the napkin or rag you put up there this can be a surprisingly durable temporary solution. I am currently in the process of replacing the broken grommet with a nut/bolt combo coated in rubber cement on the contact point so as to not wear the switch unnecessarily. There is a great thread on how to take the pedal out of the car, but I started this one to include the short-term fixes in case you have suddenly been left stranded by a $4 part. You could obviously also just replace the grommets, but if once you've gone through the ordeal of removing the pedal I suspect you won't have much appetite for doing it again!

Good luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by ARX-02a:
dwb993 (05-05-2024), GBR! (05-05-2024), windhund116 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 10:23 AM

Received 1,356 Likes on 1,022 Posts

You can also push start car if stuck.

Another option, a clutch interlock bypass with something better than a paperclip. Bypass to brake pedal for instance.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:47 AM

Received 371 Likes on 345 Posts

Thankfully not fitted in UK