S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ignition coil preferences

Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Get the Densos that you can find on Amazon, that are made in Japan. Get the 04-05 MY coils if you have an ap1 or an 04-05 s2k. If you have an 06+ then order the ones for your year. Same part as Honda OEM but much less expensive, top quality part for long life. DO NOT get Delphis or any other copy cat part made in China or mexico they have a horrible failure rate. You do not want to get stuck on the road with a bad coil, too important of a part to cheap out.

I run NGK Iridium IX series plugs as I like the tapered ground electrode and fine wire center electrode. But I am confident in my ability in setting the proper gap without damaging the plug, many people can't seem to do that so they should buy the oem plugs that are pre-gapped.
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately Amazon does not have stock! I have a MY00 but I want MY04-5 coils. I also run Iridium BKR8EIX plugs but have not touched the gap. Car feels stronger. Does this have an impact on (or can cause) idle stumbling? I could swop the plugs out with the stock PFR7s and see if there's a difference.
I'm wondering whether there is nothing wrong with my coils which came out of a MY01 S2K since that one did not exhibit hiccups at idle or any misfires anywhere. Mine doesn't misfire anywhere either but with the old coils that were basically drowning in oil due to old seals, it missed badly and jerked a lot. I progressively solved that issue with injection cleaner, new OEM VC seals and finally the 01 coil packs that solved it completely. Its just this little random hiccup that is there at times and is not at other times but only at idle... could it be an injector or two? No CEL's thrown at all.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

K20 coils.... end thread.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by AP1Chief
K20 coils.... end thread.
Would the K20 coils from an FN2 Type R work on AP1 up to '05? Far as I know those FN2 engines are DBW aren't they?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:16 AM

Are these Denso coils on Amazon made in Japan??

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-6732301-Ignition-Coil/dp/B002Y39NXG/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1531220465&sr=1-5&keywords=ignition+coil+S2000 https://www.amazon.com/Denso-6732301-Ignition-Coil/dp/B002Y39NXG/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1531220465&sr=1-5&keywords=ignition+coil+S2000
Old 07-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Are these Denso coils on Amazon made in Japan??

https://www.amazon.com/Denso-6732301...ion+coil+S2000
Yes the Densos are made in Japan, those are the parts I was suggesting.

Installing plugs without knowing the gap could cause a stumble at idle, the gap needs to be correct for them to run properly. If plugs do not come with the typical cardboard collar protecting a preset gap then the gaps are not preset and need to be gapped IMO. If you don't feel comfortable setting the gap then get some pregapped plugs. Are you boosted ? if not then the heat range 7 is fine, heat range 8 will work good with boost.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Yes the Densos are made in Japan, those are the parts I was suggesting.

Installing plugs without knowing the gap could cause a stumble at idle, the gap needs to be correct for them to run properly. If plugs do not come with the typical cardboard collar protecting a preset gap then the gaps are not preset and need to be gapped IMO. If you don't feel comfortable setting the gap then get some pregapped plugs. Are you boosted ? if not then the heat range 7 is fine, heat range 8 will work good with boost.
Thank for the confirmation

The plugs came with the cardboard collars on them. I'm aware that they're pre gapped to sub 1.1mm. I ran them when I was running my Vortech blower but I'm not running it right now. Looking to get the blower serviced before re-boosting. The 8 range plugs work great with boost for sure but I also feel they work better than 7 for NA. Car feels faster. Maybe I should swop the PFR7's which are still quite new in and see if there's a difference to idle.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Amazon Amazon
Picked these up for $25 after a huge price reduction recently. Didn't have any issues really before but mileage was high and getting a little hesitation here and there. Figured I would give these a shot and see how they performed. Couldn't go wrong for the price! Quality of the product seems to be almost OEM. Looked like it was of the same OEM molds. Dropped these bad boys in and power was smoother down low(shutter at low RPM's was moved even lower). Power came on very smooth and seems to be doing great. Time will tell how they hold up.
I will probably post a 6 month review.

Oh and I am NA currently.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pinky
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Picked these up for $25 after a huge price reduction recently. Didn't have any issues really before but mileage was high and getting a little hesitation here and there. Figured I would give these a shot and see how they performed. Couldn't go wrong for the price! Quality of the product seems to be almost OEM. Looked like it was of the same OEM molds. Dropped these bad boys in and power was smoother down low(shutter at low RPM's was moved even lower). Power came on very smooth and seems to be doing great. Time will tell how they hold up.
I will probably post a 6 month review.

Oh and I am NA currently.
What was the mileage on the original/previous coils?
Old 07-16-2018, 05:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
What was the mileage on the original/previous coils?
Unknown. They were out of a salvage yard after my original '00 plugs(one went out) and I needed a replacement.(replaced all 4) These have been in the car for probably about 8 years or more.

Could be anywhere from a minimum 30K to 80K+. The original 1999 plugs lasted somewhere around 10 years and about 75K.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pinky
Unknown. They were out of a salvage yard after my original '00 plugs(one went out) and I needed a replacement.(replaced all 4) These have been in the car for probably about 8 years or more.

Could be anywhere from a minimum 30K to 80K+. The original 1999 plugs lasted somewhere around 10 years and about 75K.
I see. Same with my '00 coils. They went out after a solid 17 years! I think the main reason was that excessive oil basically drowned coil number 3 in particular killing it and causing the rest to follow. Previous macs at Honda did not even notice this when the car went for dealer services and expensive stamps in its book...I promptly cured that by replacing the VC seals with brand new OEM ones then a set of used (but lower mileage - 100k miles) coils from an '01 S2K. Misfire gone as a result though I don't know how much longer they will last.

Quick Reply: Ignition coil preferences