S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfire Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For sure... there are many possible root causes for these misfire codes and..... one size does not fill all.....you have to troubleshoot your own problem and the info in this thread is very useful for that. There is no stock advise for these misfire codes.

I had a very simple reader that didn't give any freeze data so all I knew is I had misfires...no fuel data....and I didn't want to take it to a dealership or shop unless I absolutely had to....so there was some guess work...trial and error.

I still stand by my advise tho...misfire or not....If I could go back in time I'd adjust my valves at 10k....then again at every 50k or so until I'm confident I can go longer intervals.

1.) If I had done that... I would never have had this problem
2.) After adjusting my valves I have peace of mind that my motor is in the best possible condition as far as valve adjustment goes....I.E. max performance.

I should have known this from my experience with motorcycles and the need for adjusting the valves on them after the break-in period.....this S2000 motor needs the same attention.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 PM

Well after reading this whole thread I will share my story. My S AP1 has 57k and a while back it started this misfiring issue but I had another issue to take care of before jumping in to this one and it was that my secondary air pump was burnt so I had to replace it first. So after replacing the pump and getting rid of the code for it I started troubleshooting the misfire.

1. Bought two used coils but they were tested to be good. Put them in the two cylinders having issues with code p0301 and p0302 hence cylinder 1 and 2 however misfire in idle did not go away car ran fine in high rpm's and under load but CEL indicated the same codes.
2. Changed the coils to cylinder 3 and 4 but codes still indicated same cylinders 1 and 2.
3. Did a valve adjusting procedure just in case but codes still indicate misfire on cylinders 1 and 2.
4. Finally changed Injectors 1 and 2 to cylinders 3 and 4 and guess what code now reads p0303 and p0304 Haha exactly what I wanted; well because I found the problem but not for the 400+ I am going to spend.

Ok so I could spend less and send them to be cleaned at RC but I have read that cleaning may not be so effective. By the way I am ordering 4 just so that I don't have to replace injectors once more.

Thanks to all for shareing.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:34 PM

my 01 ap1 is throwing the misfire code on all 4 cylinders..and i replaced the spark plugs...wat should i do next? i was gonna borrow some coilpacks from a buddy and run them for a day or two and see if it clears up
Old 11-29-2010, 06:22 PM

guys. I'm habing a problem with mine. Its kind of knocking in first through third gear.only in low rpm. also it happens in time to time. i tried to drive through it once and i got the CEL for O2 sensor. anyone got a clue.....?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM

my car is throwing the p1399 code ...any1 know how to resolve it? and they gay at the parts store said it might be a crank sensor or a cam sensor...is that a possibilty?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 AM

Ok guys I'm having some misfire trouble which is obviously why I'm here. I got the codes from oriellys and I have cylinders 1,3,4, and random misfire codes. No number 2 code. I have a semi rough idle with a random flutter or pop from the exhaust. If I hold at 1500-2000 rpm I get the same thing. I have no noticeable loss of power or misfire driving down the road. I reset the codes while I was there to see if they would come back. The random code came back fairly quick and just before I left the store it threw the cylinder 1 code only. I'm going to start with spark plug check and then see if I can find someone to swap coils with me. I did a compression check about 10000 miles ago and it was pretty much 240 all the way across. I'm going to check it again after I check the plugs. Any advice would be appreciative.2002 112000 miles!

UPDATE: ok now its time to admit to my stupidity or learning curve. When I changed the plugs 10,000 miles ago I didn't use a torque wrench to to check plugs. I just put it on what I though was tight. Not too smart I know. I turned out that all four plugs were really loose. Number one was the most loose and when I finally got it out it messed up the threads in the head. I was lucky on the other three. I also got lucky and was able to get a way with just using a thread chaser. I only had minimal amounts of shavings mixed in with the grease on the tap. Once I got it all cleaned up and checked out I put it back together. Torqued everything down and give it a whirl and everything worked out fine. No more misfire issues and I will come back and update after I put maybe a thousand miles on it. I'm going to check the torque on the plugs over the next couple weeks to ensure they are not backing out.

FYI: for those of you that think you can get away with just a thread chaser. After lots of searching autozone has one that is made for tight spaces and it attaches directly to the end of the 3/8 socket. It worked like a champ with a little grease to catch filings. The part number when you call them is 25155. I had originally bought the one from sears, but its too big for the hole. LOL By the way harbor freight has a bore scope for half off right now $70 and normally $160. Wonder how o know that!

That's it and I'm bowing out on stupidity, but lesson learned.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 PM

My Y05 has about 40k mi and I've been getting a CEL with the dreaded 5 codes recently. This may be a pure coincidence, but the gas cap had not been tightened properly - which will also generate a CEL. I have found that clearing the codes and making sure of a tight cap has worked. This doesn't mean the CEL won't ever come back - but so far so good. I 'll let you know if it does.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 PM

whats up guys...my 01 s is throwing the random misfire detected code..and misfire on all four cylinders..ive already replaced the sparkplugs..then the coilpacks...then the cam sensors...and its still throwing the codes...wat should i do next??? and is the misfire why my car is getting such horrible gas milage?
Old 12-26-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a CEL for misfire cylinder 1 for a while. It ended up being related to bad gas. My car will throw a code on certain types of fuel. It is always good on Chevron fuel, but it will distinctly throw a code on a tank of bad fuel.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=01s2k,kobie,Dec 22 2010, 06:33 PM]whats up guys...my 01 s is throwing the random misfire detected code..and misfire on all four cylinders..ive already replaced the sparkplugs..then the coilpacks...then the cam sensors...and its still throwing the codes...wat should i do next???

Quick Reply: Misfire Thread