S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfire Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthPig,Jan 2 2011, 02:25 PM
I also had horrible gas milage ...it came on gradually and slowly so I didn't really notice...but when I finally got the codes I figured they were related. After doing the easy free stuff of swappping plugs and coils around I did a compression test and it was bad. So I then did a valve adjustment and found 3 exhuast valves were so out of adjustment they were being held open...I adjusted all valves to spec and my codes went away and never came back and gas milage returned to my normal 27-28mpg.

If you haven't done a compression test yet I'd do that next...and that will tell you what to do after that. If you have bad compression and haven't over revved or done a valve adjustment...do a valve adjustment....if you have over revved...a leakdown test is in order. If compression is good across the board it's likely something else.
thanks man i will do a compression test and tell you whats happening.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:42 AM

So I've been tackling this issue for about 8 months. I've followed the instructions on page 1, everything was fine, Cleaned the sensors the only component replaced was the coilpacks and I was still having these Codes.

Engine - 40K
AEM CAI + Full Exhaust

I usually gas up around my house and discovered that the Gas stations I frequent use 15% ethanol mixture (Primarily Shell). I had been fueling with this mixture for about a year. I switched to 10% ethanol and within half a tank the CEL cleared itself (Chevron, Exxon/Mobil). I have been filling up with gas that is only <10% and have not had any issues for the last 3 months. I finally cleared the codes from my ECU history last weekend.

If I put <10% ethanol gas = no problem
If I put <15% ethanol gas = CEL after a quarter tank for multiple cylinder engine misfire.
As soon as I fill it with <10% the CEL disappears after 1/2 a tank

That was my experience, you results may vary
Old 02-04-2011, 07:35 AM

Do you think that i need to replace the injectors?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7GxT5y2Sog [/media]
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 AM

+1 to the list of people with misfire codes.

3 weeks ago I got the P1399 code - multiple misfires.

-Changed the spark plugs ... ran well for 4 days with very few misfires.
-3rd gear with some gusto and the check engine light came on and I started getting the "shudders" in low RPM. This is really a pain the ass in LA traffic ... I'm just chugging a long with shudders hoping my car is ok/going to take me home.
-I parked her when I got home and just did a compression test.
1 - 220
2 - 200
3 - 200
4 - 195
Seems ... consistent?
- Finished my valve adjustment yesterday ... I did it myself so I hope I didn't make it worst.

Still having the misfires at idle.

*sigh*
Old 02-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,589 Likes on 1,904 Posts

^ Injectors.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Guys,

Would P0303 code cause a smog check to fail? Going to have a smog check soon. In the strict CA state.

I just swapped the coils from 3 to 2. Its been a few days, light hasn't come back yet.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 AM
Opc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my state, mass, any cel will fail you.. blows
Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Opc,Feb 17 2011, 05:58 AM
in my state, mass, any cel will fail you.. blows

I wonder if you use the device (obd2 reader) to remove the light and take the smog check, what would be the result.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Feb 6 2011, 08:43 AM
^ Injectors.
I had my injectors cleaned. They mapped before and after. While 1 injector was reading to do very poorly and were all are now fully functional and running well. When I put them back in ... I'm still getting the misfires. In a last ditch effort I poored in some Lucas Oil to the last tank and I plan on doing a Map Whack. I'm out of ideas and ready to take it to inline four for valve work
Old 04-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Hi guys,

I havnt posted on here for a while.. I had a MY00 with 96k miles when I traded in the beast I called VeroniKa. Well I had the same missfire issue, so i took it to a friends shop and he said I need a valve adjustment and he didnt have the tools to preform it, and he recommended taking it to Honda to do it. I did and honda calls me saying I need to get a block re done or something horrible that would cost $5k. i told them no and took my car to my friends shop and he said honda never did the work and they were pulling my along. So my friend told me I have a hissing noise which means my tranny was about to break down on me. So I sold the car and now I'm riding in a 2010 GTI. Awesome car hands down, but no s2000. I'm considering selling my gti (as long as I dont take too bad of a loss) and getting another s2000.

Moral of the story, dont give up! The misfire can be resolved! keep updating the forum members and as a group you can solve the problem. I didnt read up on the forum to see if there was a thread going for this very issue. Ek its gonna cost me but hopefully I'll get a MY08 or MY09 in half a year to a year.

Quick Reply: Misfire Thread