S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Modifry ECT CEL (solved)

Old 03-27-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifry ECT CEL (solved)

I just got around to installing my modifry electronic coolant temp mod today and i got a check engine light. i accidentally tried to start the car to test if it was working before i plugged the wiring harness back into the computer, could this be the cause?

i went to autozone and checked the codes and all 4 of them were related to engine temp and the sensor being too high. i cleared them and am waiting to see if they come back.

the new setup seems to work, although i've only driven it a couple miles and ended up on 3 bars the whole time (just like stock, go figure).

anyways, i havent seen anything in the documentation about a check engine light, and am wondering if it's there because i accidentally tried to start it without it hooked up all the way (btw, it wouldnt actually start), if i wired it wrong, if it's broken, or if it's normal?

thanks in advance,
Ryan

oh and on a side note, i also installed the shift beeper, and i strongly recommend it to anyone who is considering, thanks modifry.

update:
just to update things for anyone else who may have this issue, i've now put plenty of miles on it and everything seems fine, CEL hasn't come back on and the temp gage works fine (spend most of my time at 3 or 4 bars on the default modifry settings).
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 PM

I just had a similar issue. I installed the Modifry ECT, forgot to plug the Blue "C" connector back into the ECM, turned the ignition to on without starting the engine, didn't see the LED blinking on the ECT, and realized I'd forgotten to plug in the connector. I turned off the ignition, plugged it in, turned it back on, saw the LED flashing, fired up the engine and got a check engine light. I drove it around for a while to warm it up and saw 4 bars. I disconnected it by swapping the Yellow/green wire back to its mate, fired the engine, but still got the CEL.

I just ordered a scan tool, but I'm guessing it's likely the same issue. BTW, Autozone says that the state of CA won't let them loan/rent scan tools anymore, even though they still sell them. I guess too many people we're clearing smog-related codes or something... I didn't try going in, but I'm guessing it's the same deal at the store (confirmed by reading a few threads on other forums). I guess the state doesn't want untrained store clerks reading codes? Surprised that they didn't make the tools illegal to purchase except by a licensed mechanic!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:33 PM

My code reader arrived and came up with the following codes:
1) DTC P0118: ECT Sensor Circuit High Voltage
2) DTC P0113: IAT Sensor Circuit High Voltage
3) DTC P1259: VTEC System Malfunction
4) DTC P1415: Air Pump Electrical Current Sensor Circuit Low Voltage

From what I can tell, #s 1, 2, and 4 appear as if they could occur from having an open connection from the sensor to the ECM. I can't find much info on #3.

I posted up this thread and got confirmation that all the codes could be set from an open circuit, so I cleared them today, went for some longer drives and all seems to be OK. CEL remains off.