S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

My Diff Clunks

Old 09-20-2007, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My Diff Clunks

ok S2K owners all around the world im new and just recently picked up my S.. so HI! all im Jo..

ok so heres my problem..

i come out in the morning when everything still cold.. its all good.. no clunk nothing.. then when i drive a while everything heats up is when clunking comes to play..

im completely stopped.. i put my foot on clutch and put in 1st gear.. as soon as i put it in 1st i get a "clunk".. (clunk before i even take my foot off clutch) then i take off everything seems fine at this point.. i go to change to 2nd gear.. put foot on clutch put into 2nd gear... as soon as i go to select 2nd gear "clunk" and yes this is coming from the back.. im assuming its diff.. ive already changed diff oil.. recommended honda 75/90 hypoid oil.. it hasnt helped at all..

i adjusted my clutch pedal to less freeplay.. the clunkings gone.. but what has got me lost is that no matter how i adjust the pedal.. less or more freeplay the actual friction point dosent change.. unless it does but minutely..

at this point i hope its nothing major can you guys give me some feedback or opinions.. or have experienced the same problem?

HELP HELP HELP
Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

aznsiko Posted on Sep 20 2007, 01:32 PM
im completely stopped.. i put my foot on clutch and put in 1st gear.. as soon as i put it in 1st i get a "clunk"..
No worries its normal.
then i take off everything seems fine at this point.. i go to change to 2nd gear.. put foot on clutch put into 2nd gear... as soon as i go to select 2nd gear "clunk" and yes this is coming from the back..
Are you sure?
Could be just normal driveline & trans play.
Has the trans oil been changed yet (or recently)?
If so why not or with what.
ive already changed diff oil.. recommended honda 75/90 hypoid oil
Wrong.
Honda recommends a straight SAE 90 GL-5 for the diff.
Check your owners manual to confirm.
SAE 75W-90 and SAE 90 are not the same.
The "wrong" oil should not make the diff behave as you describe though, well.. not immediatly.

Does the diff make a lot of noise when driving figure8 on an empty parking lot with full steering lock?
A little noise is normal, kinda grumming, thats ok.

Do the diff test:
#1-jack up rear of car (make sure its safe!!)
#2-put trans in gear (any gear).
#3-turn one wheel clockwise, that should go smooth and without noise.
#4- during #3 the other wheel should turn the opposite way.
#5-perform on both wheels.

Let us know what happens.
It could be you're driving on the wrong side of the road....

Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you get a 75W90 Full syth for the diff fluid, I just hope you didn't put the CRV diff fluid in there.

Change the Tranny fluid with Honda MTF fluid

You shouldn't change the freeplay of the slave clutch rod unless your absolutely positive on what your doing
Old 09-20-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know if this has anything to do with your car since my car doesn't make a "clunk" but it could have something to do with the LSD.
I had a TR4 many years ago that "clunked" when the rear axel was'nt evenly loaded i.e -on uneven surfaces and during very slow turns in parking lots etc. Surprisingly, nothing ever noted at crusing speed or above. I assumed this was caused by wear but it never gave me any problems during the years I owened the car. The TR4 never notably got worse and I did fairly comfortably ignore it.
You probably should have it diagnosed and/or note if the problem seems to be getting worse.
A Pro's opinion on weather you can ignore this problem or not should go a long way.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aznsiko,Sep 20 2007, 03:32 AM
ive already changed diff oil.. recommended honda 75/90 hypoid oil.. it hasnt helped at all..
this makes it sound like you're using Honda rear diff oil. Is this true? If so then you've got the wrong stuff in there! Honda's rear diff oil is only for the CR-V and not for the S2000. I hear that it'll completely destroy the rear diff of an S2000. Or did you just mean to say "Honda recommended" instead of "recommended Honda"