S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need Diagnosis on ECL and EPS lights?

Old 06-22-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Diagnosis on ECL and EPS lights?

For months I've done many code scans on solid check engine light and solid EPS (electronic power steering light) comes up EPS failure. There is no power steering loss! The speedometer does not move, stays on zero and the Super-Charger full auto cool down unit doesn't work properly.
(electrical short??)

Started the day I arrived at WTD 2007, Thanks to some, great club membersand sponsorshelp, we changed the yellow box for the 457R diff. and checked surrounding areas for electrical shorts. Reset it, but it comes right back? about every 100 miles.

Today is about the 5th time this wild sequence of events has came about. Scan code again came back EPS failure ? Restarted S- 2000 ,The CEL light stayed on but the EPS light went out and the Speedometer started working again ??Cool down unit for S.C. counted down properly ??? Check Eng. Light still on ?

I can pull fuse and reset this, and start this in motion all over again but would rather not and find out the fix ?

Any ideas?? Something that I may of overlooked in the Helms book?? Any kind of assistance would be welcome. I'm worried cause of this continued recurrence and don't want to reset it only for it to come back.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ragdolls FTW!!!

Try a higher amp fuse in the accessory slot. Are you running other things from the ACC or have other things tapped to that fuse? Using things in the 12v socket?
Old 01-03-2009, 03:58 PM

I seem to have just experienced the exact same problem.
Earlier, I got a VGS wheel (fitted from AP1 steering wheel) installed by PTuning on my AP2 S2000 (which means it used my AP2 air bag). Everything seemed fine when I drove home. But when I drove the car later at night I just got an EPS light that came on (speedometer no longer works - show 0 mph regardless of speed). so i stop, turn off the car then turned it back on, EPS remains and then later CEL comes on. i turned off the car again, restart, EPS light disappears but CEL remains on.

Not sure what is going on. The car is parked now and i'm a bit confused... reading the s2ki board to see why and I found this post. The shop is closed until monday so i can't go back to them yet. Any advice or pointers would be appreciated

btw, I have a yellow box installed by HardTopGuys due to my 4.77 gears. Does that have anything to do with it?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by GPWonTan' date='Jan 3 2009, 04:58 PM
I seem to have just experienced the exact same problem.
Earlier, I got a VGS wheel (fitted from AP1 steering wheel) installed by PTuning on my AP2 S2000 (which means it used my AP2 air bag). Everything seemed fine when I drove home. But when I drove the car later at night I just got an EPS light that came on (speedometer no longer works - show 0 mph regardless of speed). so i stop, turn off the car then turned it back on, EPS remains and then later CEL comes on. i turned off the car again, restart, EPS light disappears but CEL remains on.

Not sure what is going on. The car is parked now and i'm a bit confused... reading the s2ki board to see why and I found this post. The shop is closed until monday so i can't go back to them yet. Any advice or pointers would be appreciated

btw, I have a yellow box installed by HardTopGuys due to my 4.77 gears. Does that have anything to do with it?
Yup... When the speedo calibrators die out it will throw a code since the ecu isn't seeing a speed signal.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by SOHCmyDOHC' date='Jan 4 2009, 04:56 AM
Yup... When the speedo calibrators die out it will throw a code since the ecu isn't seeing a speed signal.
u r not suggesting that it is dead and needs to be replaced right?
i was told i just need to find better grounding for the yellow box device
Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by GPWonTan' date='Jan 4 2009, 09:38 AM
u r not suggesting that it is dead and needs to be replaced right?
i was told i just need to find better grounding for the yellow box device
Well the ones I've dealt with were dead. Unhook the YB and see if everything is okay then go from there. Try finding a better ground if you like. My friend didn't want to deal with it after some doodling so we just put it back to stock.