S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New to the arena

Old 04-07-2006, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the tires and wheels are in all the right places. All the obvious things are in tact. Mechanically something is happening. dynamic balance is true as an arrow on the wheels as well. car drive perfectly straight until throttle is added, if you are holding the wheel you have to actually put left input in to stay straight, the steering wheel doesn't turn when it starts to veer right, the car just jaunts to the right in a real subtle swagger. Like I said, just wanted to hear some ideas before I take it in on Monday, having worked at Honda as a technician, I don't always trust there diagnosis. Thanks again for all the inputs
Old 04-08-2006, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by heresnowhy,Apr 7 2006, 07:21 PM
having worked at Honda as a technician, I don't always trust there diagnosis.
x2
Old 04-08-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a slight bend in the frame I suppose. I still think its a funky tire.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:13 PM

Any update on what caused the pulling problem?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having known this from my previous life in the 4x4 community, I am quite experienced with what goes on in the rear differential of vehicles. Many people make simple lockers out of their standard open diff by welding the spiders together...when these welds crack, almost all of the time, the vehicle will pull to the right on acceleration. The same thing applies when a torsen style limited slip is not functioning properly...power is not being properly balanced during acceleration, so you get more push to the left rear than you would under normal circumstances. You might be thinking "well why don't open diff vehicles experience this then?" Open diffs work on the priciple of power following the path of least resistance. When a load is placed on a particular tire, power will transfer to the opposite axle shaft, and bakc and forth until the system levels out. One wheel peels prove this, because the coefficient of kinetic friction on the spinning tire with the ground is less than that of the coefficient of static friction on the tire that isn't spinning. With a limited slip, the differential is forcing a percentage of power to both wheels, and in a straight line acceleration, with no place for the additional torque of acceleration to go due to the limited slip messing up and not allowing 50/50 power transfer, you get a situation where one wheel is always recieving more power than the other...it's not pull to the right you're feeling, it's a push from the left rear.

I've built many 4x4 rear ends....from Toyota 8" open diffs to TRD lockers, up to the bomb proof Detroit locked Dana 60 full floater that's under my Tacoma now. I hope this will shed some light on the situation, and I didn't just ramble on for nothing
Old 04-11-2006, 05:18 PM

Well, this other thread said it definitely was caused by the rear tires. So maybe you should get yours checked as well. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by heresnowhy,Apr 7 2006, 07:21 PM
the car just jaunts to the right
Swap the rears from side to side. If afterward, your car jaunts to the left, I would conclude that you in fact, indeed have a bad tire.