S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Official Found a Rattle Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:20 AM

Received 1,236 Likes on 756 Posts

That definitely sounds like TCT noise.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 AM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

So recently this clicking/ticking noise has developed and I can't tell what it is but sounds like it’s coming from underneath the driver side. It sounds like metal on metal and only happens when rolling. I don't hear it bouncing off objects from the passenger side like I can hear on the driver side. It also does go away sometimes (in the video linked, it stops happening after I make a right turn). It also has nothing to do with engine revs as it happens if i coast in neutral or while in gear. Any help/leads are appreciated!

Old 02-25-2019, 11:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone help me diagnose this noise? I am looking to purchase this 04 s2k and the ticking sound seems somewhat loud. I think it only rattles when you first start it and when you start driving it it tends to just disappear.... The things I think it may be is

-TCT
-valve adjustment
-catalytic rattle
-loose crankshaft bolt

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EG5MuRzod2EowBSAA
Old 08-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it normal to occasionally hear a click when VTEC is engaged?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HowlinFantods
Is it normal to occasionally hear a click when VTEC is engaged?
Not sure if you're talking to me but I fixed the problem awhile back. I ended up purchasing the car, and replaced the tct and adjusted valves and the car has been solid!
Old 10-14-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently traced down an engine compartment rattle on my 2008 base model, and wanted to share my findings, unsure if documented or not already. I would get a particular *click/tick* noise around the 6k rpm mark, and it turned out to be the plastic fuel rail cover. It would sporadically make this noise, and for a while I thought it was valvetrain/tct/injectors/vtec solenoid/belt pulleys, etc. The noise actually started somewhere between 80-90k miles, and I'm now at ~116k.

My solution thus far has simply been to remove the offending piece of plastic, but like most plastic based rattles, it can probably be fixed by electrical tape or some other kind of shim to tighten up the sockets that the piece clips into.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Not sure if this has been addressed here but I had a maddening rattle coming from the interior light area. I took it apart and found that two plastic tabs were banging against the metal very readily. I cut two small squares of foam tape and wedged it between the tabs and metal as shown. Rattle gone.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Just purchased my '01 S and it's had a rattle in the passenger side door when opening and closing...was driving me crazy. Took off the interior door trim and discovered that the black plastic guide for the locking mechanism was loose. Zip tied it back on and the rattle is gone!

Old 06-23-2021, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty engine knock

Hey guys I have a 2001 s2k with 54k miles on it. Previous maintenance history and more was provided when I purchased the car from a Toyota dealer in Newburgh, NY. The car was and still is in good condition and clearly never experienced much spirited driving before my ownership. Sadly last night I went to a local car meet in northern New Jersey and once I got off the highway on the ride home I noticed my engine knocking. Still drove perfectly fine and I just did an 8 minute drive to work with no issues. It sounds like it has to be a rod bearing or valve but I’m not convinced! Any chance it could be the timing chain slapping the head due to a failed oem TCT? Plz help meh boys
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (3.42 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by Nicholas Mondelli; 06-23-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s no good man. Are you low on oil? I wouldn’t start it up again until you get it opened up and checked out.