S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Official Found a Rattle Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youtube Link

Is this the TCT?
If yes, what are my options?

Edit:
Did the same thing like in this video and it worked
Youtube
Old 06-02-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Hey folks!

Got a creaking sound coming from near dead center in the car when I'm slowing down, taking off from a light, or otherwise at slow speeds around some corners. At speed, the creak is non-existent. I've had the suspension checked, and all 4 upper control arms replaced. Any ideas?
Old 06-02-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Hey folks!

Got a creaking sound coming from near dead center in the car when I'm slowing down, taking off from a light, or otherwise at slow speeds around some corners. At speed, the creak is non-existent. I've had the suspension checked, and all 4 upper control arms replaced. Any ideas?
Got my car back from an alignment, and it appears to be gone. . .
Old 06-12-2016, 05:21 PM

Just recently got my soft top replaced about a month ago. Since then I've started getting a rattle/clunking on the passenger side when going over bumps that's getting progressively worse.

Doesn't sound like it's in the door seems a little further back. I've tried to inspect all the hinges/soft top hardware to no avail so far...

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a new one -
At idle there is a very faint rattle that sounds exactly like a tiny pebble inside a coffee can. Like a high pitched tiny bell. It's not a consistent rhythm.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa
Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa' timestamp='1448295423' post='23810354
I'm getting a rattle from the front left of the car. Sounds like a high speed tapping coming from the left side of the engine compartment. Only happens on high RPM decels.
I popped the hood and banged and shook everything up top and couldn't see anything that would be causing it.
Plan on getting under the car this Thursday to check everything out but if anyone has a had something similar please let me know.
*UPDATE*
Just realized yesterday that when I slightly press the clutch pedal in when the rattle is happening, it stops.
Going to check the clutch master bolts/adjustment and see if that fixes the issue!

Is this a bad clutch master? Looks like it might be leaking.

UPDATE 7/6:
Replaced the Clutch Master and the rattle is gone. To my surprise, my previous "clutch buzz" is also gone.
Clutch feels nice and tight and the car is quieter.
I have a feeling that this is the clip that holds the pin in place that attaches the rod to the clutch pedal. I have the same thing. I haven't attempted to remedy it, but I can assume if you add grease to the area, it could remove some, if not all of the rattle/buzz.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently resolved an annoying noise I figured I'd mention in order to help someone else out.

You would not believe how much one simple buzz noise feels like it impacts the drivability of the whole car.

For a little while, I've been hearing an odd metallic noise that seemed to happen when I shifted during normal driving.
As I'd had recent clutch and transmission work, this was worrisome.

Eventually I noticed that it became more of a buzz and didn't actually have to do with shifting, but the RPM I was at when I shifted.
I could produce the buzz at higher RPMs and make it come and go with the throttle by going above or below the vibration' sweet spot.

Lots of listening narrowed it down to the rear right of the car.
Banging on everything in that area revealed that the right rear muffler tip was slightly loose.
Removing and reinstalling the exhaust tip after straightening the mounting bracket a bit completely eliminated the noise and made the entire car sound more solid and feel smoother.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM

I had a rattle coming from what seemed to be in front of the passenger dash area. Turns out it was a lost oil cap. Bought the car a couple of months ago, so maybe the previous owner lost a cap. The rattle was driving me nuts. Found the cap struck somewhere in the trans housing. I was surprised it got so far.

https://m.imgur.com/cwXYYLO
Old 08-23-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This rattle is new and driving me nuts. Sounds like it's coming from inside the passenger door but I didn't find anything loose in there yesterday. Any ideas?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mac9...tml?sort=1&o=0
Old 09-15-2016, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by veloxnex
Just recently got my soft top replaced about a month ago. Since then I've started getting a rattle/clunking on the passenger side when going over bumps that's getting progressively worse.

Doesn't sound like it's in the door seems a little further back. I've tried to inspect all the hinges/soft top hardware to no avail so far...

Thanks in advance!

I had many rattle due to aftermarket top/poor installer, most severe coming from the tray and the fact that the glass was actually resting on the roll hoops when the top was up