S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil leaking from dipstick?

Old 04-16-2016, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaking from dipstick?

hello all, I was out driving my car yesterday, I hit vtec while a friend was driving behind me and he said he smelled burning oil. I let the car sit while we ate lunch and when I checked the dipstick there was oil all over it.
it went from the bottm all the way to the o-rings and it looked like it had spewed on the valve cover a bit as well in that area. I've ordered a new dip stick in case the orings are dead. what scares me the most is that the oil was half way between the full and empty mark and it was full just a couple weeks ago. I read online that this backpressure and oil consumption could be caused by a blocked Pcv valve, worn piston rings or worn valve seals.

I've checked the Pcv valve, it's in perfect working order which makes me quite frightened that it's one of the other issues, but there is no blue smoke at all no matter the rpm so I'm wondering if there is actually any oil burning at all, and maybe my friend was actually just smelling my car running rich mistaking it for oil consumption.
the car also engages vtec fine and feels like it's not lost any power.

so to sumarize:
-oil was low on dipstick
-oil was splashed all over dipstick up to the top of it and it looked like it had gotten on the valve cover as well
-friend mentioned smelling burning oil on vtec
-no blue smoke indicating it's burning oil, doesn't smell like its burning oil below vtec but I can't tell with the test pipe and I've never smelled burning oil before.
-no loss of power
-engages vtec fine
-Pcv valve is fine

side notes:
-my'00
-k&n intake
-invidia 70mm test pipe to 3" single custom catback
-stock ecu
-castrol gtx 10w30
-I never rev the car above 4K unless I've been driving for at least 10-15 minutes give or take weather conditions.
-I always let the car cool down before shutting it off
-oil changes at 5000km intervals
-car is at 130,000kms.
-never had oil related issues or any engine related issues prior.

I took it to Honda and the mechanic said its just the orings on the dipstick being bad, but I need to make absolute sure that's the case because I have a track day on the 27th and any extra input would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures of required.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Kind of normal to some extent. Blow-by pushes the dipstick upwards , worn O-rings on the dipstick makes it easier for the dipstick to pop-off. Oil can spray out once the dipstick has been pushed up. Smelling oil can be evident once that happens. Drive the car past your buddy and see if you are getting blue smoke out the exhaust in vtec ?

I had my dipstick pushing up last fall on dyno runs , it would happen at the very last couple hundred rpms before redline. I put on new dipstick O-rings and I changed to Red Line 5w40 motor oil, and it has not happened since.

Castrol GTX has a higher NOACK volatility rating than many high quality synthetic oils now available, so you will get a higher burn-off rate of oil with GTX IMO. You may also have some varnish on the engine parts (including piston rings) which can happen with conventional oils over time. My car was run on Castrol syntec it's entire life with short oil changes by the previous owner, and the engine was varnished up. It's all be cleaned up since I've been running good synthetic oils.

Amsoil 10w30 has a very low NOACK volatility rating, if you don't want to spend that much on oil then Penzoil Platinum is pretty good as well. A good synthetic oil can also help to clean up the engine of any varnish deposits.

Burning oil isn't the end of the world, it just depends on how much you can tolerate it. If you are worried have a compression and leak down test done on the engine.

Lastly, make sure your spark plugs are tight and your aren't getting oil in the spark plug tubes, and check for other oil leaks around the engine and valvecover.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the part number for the o-rings on the dipstick?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

I doubt the O-rings are available as a separate part but O-rings are pretty common parts. Anyone have the dimensions?

Complete OEM dipstick is under US$15.00

-- Chuck
Old 04-29-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...ement-1125163/

Thank Justinthecoastie

Tried it myself, works like a charm.